Over the next few days, GM Authority will be behind the wheel of a 2021 Chevy Tahoe Z71. The Tahoe is Chevrolet’s second largest model after the 2021 Chevy Suburban, which is essentially the same vehicle except that it is 15 inches longer. Both were completely overhauled (re-engineered and redesigned) for the 2021 model year, representing the first model year of their fifth (Tahoe) and 12th (Suburban) generations.
Both the 2021 Tahoe and 2021 Suburban are built on the GM T1 platform at the GM Arlington plant in Arlington, Texas. The same applies to the 2021 GMC Yukon and 2021 Cadillac Escalade, both of which are also in their first model year.
Z71 is the most off-road-oriented trim level in the Chevy Tahoe range, and as such it offers less choice than any of the others. For starters, only one engine is offered – the 5.3L V8 L84 gasoline engine from the EcoTec3 family, which produces 355 horsepower and 383 pound-feet of torque; the 3.0L I-6 LM2 turbo-diesel Duramax engine or the 6.2L V8 L87 are not available. The Tahoe Z71 is also unique in the line-up in that it is available only with four-wheel-drive, a two-speed transfer case and Hill Descent Control.
For the same reason, the Tahoe Z71 has a different look than versions in other trim levels. The front fascia is unique, which not only makes the vehicle look more rugged but also provides a higher approach angle for more effective off-roading. Also standard are 20-inch wheels, all-terrain tires, a front skid plate and red tow hooks. Black and chrome exterior accents do not affect the vehicle’s ability, but they help to distinguish it visually from non-Z71 models.
Our Tahoe Z71 is fitted with two optional packages. The more expensive of these is the Z71 Off-Road Package, which is priced at $5,735 and consists of the following features:
- Air Ride Adaptive Suspension
- Magnetic Ride Control
- Driver Information Center with eight-inch diagonal multi-color display
- Enhanced Cooling Radiator
- Trailer Brake Controller
- Advanced Trailering System
- Hitch Guidance With Hitch View
- HD Surround Vision
- Heated Power Outside Mirrors With Power-Fold
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Power Tilt And Telescopic Steering Column
- Memory settings for driver seat, outside mirrors and steering column
- Second Row Heated 60/40 Split Bench With Power Release
- Third Row 60/40 Split Bench, Power Fold
- Rear Pedestrian Alert
- Lane Change Alert With Side Blind Zone Alert
- Front And Rear Park Assist
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Lane Keep Assist With Lane Departure Warning
The vehicle is also supplied with the $2,490 Rear Media And Nav Package, which includes:
- Chevrolet Infotainment 3 Premium With Navigation
- 10.2-inch diagonal HD color touchscreen
- Voice recognition
- Wireless Apple Car Play and Wireless Android Auto capable Bluetooth Audio streaming
- In-vehicle apps and personalization capable
The vehicle also comes with second-row bucket seats with power release ($370) and a floor console with a power sliding center ($350). All of the option raise the vehicle’s price from the base MSRP of $60,495 (including $1,295 destination freight charge) to $69,400. A $500 discount is then applied as part of the Z71 package content discount, bringing the cost to $68,940.
If there’s anything you want to know about the Tahoe Z71 beyond the specs, ask us in the comments section below, and we’ll reply as soon as possible.
Ready… set… go.