Even so, the 2021 Chevy Equinox does see a few yet notable changes from the 2020 model year, including the deletion of two equipment groups and one engine option.
The 2LT equipment group (for LT models) and 3LZ equipment group (for Premier models) have been deleted. The deletion correlates to the removal of the turbocharged 2.0L LTG engine, which we will delve into lower.
On the outside, the 2021 Chevy Equinox sees the deletion of two exterior color options: Chocolate Metallic and Cayenne Orange Metallic.
The 2021 Chevy Equinox welcomes the addition of the Leather Package, which includes:
- Jet Black perforated leather-appointed seating
- Memory settings
- Inside rearview auto-dimming mirror
- Outside heated power-adjustable and auto-dimming mirrors
With the aforementioned deletion of the 2LT and 3LZ equipment groups, the following mechanical components have also been deleted:
- Turbocharged 2.0L I-4 LTG engine
- 9-speed automatic transmission
- Trailering equipment
- Factory-installed trailer hitch
- Trailer hitch closeout cover
- 4,850 lbs. GVWR
- 17-inch front and 16-inch rear 4-wheel antilock disc brakes
- 3.17 axle ratio
- Dual-outlet stainless-steel exhaust
- 17-inch steel spare wheel
- 17-inch compact spare tire
With the deletion of the LTG engine, the 2021 Chevy Equinox is now offered exclusively with one engine choice: the turbocharged 1.5L LYX inline four-cylinder with an output of 170 horsepower and 203 pound-feet of torque. Notably, the engine is paired with a 6-speed automatic transmission for all models, and the crossover continues to be offered in either front-wheel or all-wheel drive configurations.
The Midnight Edition now includes the following features:
- Jet Black premium cloth (replaces Jet Black perforated leather-appointed seating)
- 19-inch Gloss Black aluminum wheels
- Dark finish fog lamp bezel surround
- Unique mold-in-color Black grille and mesh with Black surround
- Front and rear Black bowties
2021 Chevrolet Equinox Availability
The 2021 Chevy Equinox is assembled at the following factories:
- GM CAMI plant in Ontario, Canada operated by GM Canada
- GM Ramos plant in Ramos Arizpe, Coahuila, Mexico operated by GM Mexico
- GM-SAIC Wuhan II in Hubei, China operated by Shanghai-GM
Deliveries of the 2021 model began in Q3 2020, meaning units are already on dealer lots.
Next, the Equinox will see a midcycle refresh for the 2022 model year (see more on the 2022 Chevy Equinox). After that, we expect the current-generation Equinox to remain in production until the 2023-2024 timeframe, at which point the vehicle will be replaced with an all-new model.
Crash testing and safety tech testing. The microchip shortage has substantially impacted the compact crossover.
Crash testing and safety tech testing.
The microchip shortage has substantially impacted the compact crossover.