The 2021 Chevrolet Malibu receives a few minor updates for the sixth model year of the nameplate’s ninth generation. The changes come after the 2019 Malibu received a mid-cycle refresh, and after several minor changes were made for the 2020 model year.
Noteworthy new features include a new exterior color option, the addition of new technology such as Buckle to Drive, and a new Sport Edition package.
On the outside, the 2021 Chevy Malibu sees the deletion of two exterior colors – Stone Gray Metallic and Cajun Red Tintcoat – as well as the addition of a single new hue: Cherry Red Tintcoat. A dealer-installed gloss black grille is also available, and 19-inch aluminum wheels are now available on LT models.
On the inside, the 2021 Chevrolet Malibu sees a small design change in the gear selector / shifter. The sedan also sees the addition of Wireless Apple CarPlay and Wireless Android Auto, as well as the customizable Buckle to Drive safety system.
On the mechanical front, a dealer-installed sport lowering suspension kit is newly available for the 2021 model year.
Like the 2020 model, the 2021 Chevy Malibu continues to offer two engine choices:
- The turbocharged 1.5L I-4 LFV engine with an output of 160 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque, and
- The turbocharged 2.0L I-4 LTG with 250 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque
New for the 2021 model year is the Sport Edition. The new package is essentially the Midnight Edition for vehicles painted in any other color except for black, which is reserved for the Midnight Edition. The package includes the following features:
- Black nameplate badge in Black
- Black front and rear bowties
- Blacked-out grille
- 19-inch Black-painted aluminum wheels (Q94)
- 245/40R19 all-season blackwall tires
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Leather-wrapped shift knob
Additionally, the package requires a Jet Black interior, and is not available with aforementioned exterior color Mosaic Black Metallic or the following options:
- Appearance Package
- Illuminated Black bowtie emblem
- Gloss black emblems
- Black bowtie
- Dark Chrome horizontal leading edge grille
- Redline Edition
One other small change affects the Redline Edition, which now includes dealer-installed Redline outside mirror decals.
2021 Chevrolet Malibu Availability
The 2021 Chevrolet Malibu is produced across three GM plants globally:
- GM Fairfax plant in Kansas City, Kansas, USA supplying the Americas
- GM Bupyeong plant in South Korea South Korea
- Shanghai GM Jinqiao North in China (GM China) supplying China
The 2021 Chevy Malibu began arriving at dealers in Q3 2020, meaning units are already on dealer lots as of this writing. Looking ahead, we expect the current-generation Malibu to remain in production until the 2023-2024 timeframe.
The chip shortage has hit the Chevy Malibu hard. Including the cargo area organizer and optional wheels.
The chip shortage has hit the Chevy Malibu hard.
Including the cargo area organizer and optional wheels.