The automaker says these new drag racing performance parts have been through “extreme testing and validation in the Chevrolet Performance Drag Racing Development program,” which “continues to explore the quarter-mile capability of the sixth-gen Camaro,” by pushing the platform to its limits with various chassis and powertrain upgrades.” The new line of Camaro SS drag racing parts include the following:
- 6.2L Cold Air Intake System Race Filter (Part Number: 84355716)
- American Racing Headers (P/N: CAV8-16178300LSNC)
- High-Stall Torque Converter System (P/N: P/N 24290897)
- Rear Small Brake System (P/N: 84396515)
- Weld® Racing Front-Runner Drag Racing Wheels (P/N: 88B-1806N-GM)
- Weld® Racing Rear Drag Racing Wheels (P/N: 88B-610SB-GM)
- ZL1 1LE Spec Solid Rear Cradle Mounts (P/N: 84341929)
- ZL1 Spec Heavy-Duty Halfshaft System (P/N: 84398126)
- ZL1 Spec Heavy-Duty Propshaft (P/N: 84398125)
A Camaro SS equipped with these performance parts and tuned to 600 horsepower completed the quarter-mile in 10.569 seconds at 127.8 MPH, Chevy says, with a 60-foot time of 1.433 seconds and an eighth-mile time of 6.739 seconds. Among the most important upgrades are the Weld racing beadlock rear wheels and skinny front wheels, which allow for proper racing-specific drag slicks to be fitted to the vehicle. The High Stall Torque Converter is also extremely important, as it is ideally matched to LT1 powertrain to provide a 45% increase in stall speed over the standard torque converter, resulting in” consistent lower 60-foot times and overall ETs,” Chevy says.
These aren’t the first drag-racing oriented parts from Chevy Performance. The company released a new performance calibration for the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1’s electronic limited-slip differential (eLSD) ahead of last year’s SEMA Show in Las Vegas, which was “developed to enable more consistent burnout performance for improved drag strip launches,” and allows the driver to heat the tires better before making an eighth- or quarter-mile pass.
Learn more about the drag racing line of performance parts for the Camaro SS at this link.