Back in January, the 2021 GMC Yukon made its grand entrance in Vail, Colorado, dropping into the full-size premium SUV segment with an all-new fifth generation. Now, the first examples of the new Yukon are arriving in dealers, with fresh walkaround videos of the updated utility vehicle now hitting the web.
Some of the videos include narration that gives a rundown of the 2021 GMC Yukon’s various features and updates, and provides a nice baseline for fans and prospective buyers to get comfortable with the new SUV.
Production for the 2021 GMC Yukon kicked off last month at GM’s assembly facility in Arlington, Texas, following a two-month shutdown resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic. The plant is currently running at 25 percent capacity, limited to just the new GMC Yukon and Chevrolet Tahoe, while production of the new Yukon XL, Chevrolet Suburban, Cadillac Escalade, and Cadillac Escalade ESV are expected to kick off later this summer.
As we reported previously, the 2021 GMC Yukon launch schedule includes SLT and Denali trim levels as the first models out the gates. SLT models are expected to comprise just 10 percent of units produced, while Denali trims will take up the remaining 90 percent. The second phase is expected commence 13 weeks after Start of Regular Production (SORP), and will include additional build configurations and trim levels. Check out our previous coverage linked above for a complete breakdown of the launch schedule.
Among the many new features on offer is the 2021 GMC Yukon rear media system, which adds in a pair of high-resolution 12.6-inch diagonal LCD touchscreens to the backs of the two front seats. Each screen can be configured to display customized content for either passenger. Pricing for this system comes to $1,995 for Denali trims (offered as a standalone option), and $2,490 for the SLT trim (offered in conjunction with the Rear Media And Nav Package).
Although the extended-length 2021 GMC Yukon XL has yet to hit production, we already got a look at it in SLE trim late last month. As a reminder, the XL model adds 15 inches to the SUV’s overall length, enhancing available cargo space.