The National Corvette Museum recently held its Virtual Bash event, during which several GM employees, including Executive Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter and Corvette Assembly Plant Manager Kai Spande, provided seminars on critical 2020 Corvette updates. The seminars listed a number of interesting statistics, including a breakdown on which models Corvette buyers prefer, including sales for the 2020 Corvette Convertible versus sales for the 2020 Corvette Coupe.
According to the seminar, 2020 Corvette Convertible models account for just 17 percent of sales so far, with Coupe models scooping up the remaining 83 percent. Although this statistic may suggest that the 2020 Corvette Coupe is more popular than the 2020 Corvette Convertible, it’s also worth remembering that Convertible order books opened up later. As a reminder, order books for the 2020 Corvette Convertible initially opened up in January following a debut in October of 2019.
Other interesting stats covered included a breakdown on the popularity of the various exterior paint colors (Torch Red was the most popular), interior colors (Jet Black was the most popular), and trim levels (3LT was the most popular).
As we covered last month, operations at the Corvette production facility in Bowling Green, Kentucky, relaunched in May following a shutdown in March resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic. General Motors currently has a long backlog of C8 Corvette orders, and according to recent reports, production of the 2020 Corvette Coupe will continue through the first week of July, while production of the 2020 Corvette Convertible will launch July 13th. Production of the 2021 Corvette will begin in November.
General Motors closed order books for the 2020 Corvette in March, with order books for the 2021 model year opening in May. Roughly 2,700 examples of the new mid-engine sports car have been produced before the plant reopening, all of which are Coupe models.
As production gets back online and fresh examples of the 2020 Corvette Convertible start to roll out, it’ll be interesting to see how fans react, and if an uptick in 2021 Convertible sales will follow.
Source: National Corvette Museum