Modern automotive safety technology is amazing, with a cornucopia of new features on offer these days to protect both passengers and other drivers on the road. However, some of these features aren’t necessarily all that complicated – in fact, all Cadillac models now offer front cornering lights, which enhance nighttime visibility when cornering.
Cadillac’s Front Cornering Lights work to illuminate a road around a bend, enhancing safety in the process. The lights operate at low speeds (below 25 mph) when the low-beam headlamps are lit. When the driver hits the turn signals or turns the steering wheel to a certain angle, the cornering lights activate.
It should be noted that Cadillac’s Front Cornering Lights are different from adaptive lighting, which will lower the primary headlamp beam angle at lower speeds to illuminate the road directly ahead of the vehicle. Front Cornering Lights are also different from Active Forward Lighting, which will turn the primary headlamp beam direction into a bend. Rather, Front Cornering Lights are single-direction lights that only activate when needed.
Finding the Front Cornering Lights on a Cadillac is relatively straightforward, as they are typically located just underneath the characteristic front signature lights / Daytime Running Lights.
We’ve listed a complete breakdown on the feature’s availability below:
- XT4: optional on Premium Luxury with Technology package. Standard on Sport. Not offered on base-level Luxury trim.
- XT5: standard on all 2020 models. For 2017 through 2019 model years, standard on Premium Luxury and Platinum, optional on Luxury, and not offered on Base.
- XT6: standard on all trim levels.
- CT4: optional on Sport, premium Luxury, and CT4-V with the Front Lighting and Assist Package, which also includes Front and Rear Park Assist and front lamp signals. Not offered on base-level Luxury trim.
- CT5: optional on Sport, Premium Luxury, and CT5-V with the Lighting Package, which also includes illuminating front sill plates. Not offered on base-level Luxury trim.
- CT6: standard on Premium Luxury, Platinum, and CT6-V. Not offered on base-level Luxury trim.
- Escalade (2015 – 2020) standard on Premium Luxury and Platinum, not offered on Base and Luxury trims.
It’s currently unclear if the next-generation 2021 Cadillac Escalade will also feature Front Corner Lights.
What do you think of this relatively simple, but effective safety feature? Let us know in the comments, and make sure to subscribe to GM Authority for more Cadillac news and around-the-clock GM news coverage.
This post was created in collaboration with our sister publication, Cadillac Society.