As we’ve covered previously, the latest sixth-generation Chevrolet Camaro is slated to receive a number of noteworthy updates with the next model year. Among the 2021 Camaro’s key changes is the availability of the automatic transmission option, which will now be offered in conjunction with SS trim levels and 1LE Track Performance Package.
Previously, all Camaro models equipped with the 1LE package were exclusively equipped with the six-speed manual transmission. This includes the SS, ZL1, and LT with either the naturally aspirated 3.6L LGX V6, or turbocharged 2.0L LTG inline four-cylinder. Now, however, 2021 Camaro SS 1LE models will also offer the 10-speed automatic as an available gearbox.
While hardcore enthusiasts will likely scoff at the change, it may entice those buyers looking to get the styling and performance benefits offered by the 1LE Track Performance Package, plus the ease-of-use offered by a two-pedaled transmission.
To note, the 1LE Track Performance package includes the following content:
- Performance four-wheel antilock, four-wheel disc brakes
- Brembo six-piston front monobloc calipers in Red
- Four-piston rear calipers with two-piece rotors
- Electronic limited-slip differential
- Dual-mode performance exhaust
- Magnetic Ride Control
- Performance suspension
- Black front splitter
- Satin Black hood wrap
- Satin Black rear blade spoiler
- 285/30R20 front, and 305/30R20 rear blackwall summer-only tires
- 20-inch x 10-inch front and 20-inch x 11-inch rear Satin Graphite forget aluminum wheels
- Recaro performance front bucket seats
- Sueded-wrapped, flat-bottom steering wheel
- Sueded-wrapped shift knob
The SS trim level also includes the naturally aspirated 6.2L LT1 V8 engine, which produces 455 horsepower and 455 pound-feet of torque. When mated to the six-speed manual transmission, a 3.73 rear axle is used. Meanwhile, opting for the 10-speed automatic adds a 2.85 rear axle on 2021 Camaro models.
All other 2021 Camaro 1LE models, including LT’s with the LGX V6 or LTG ‘four, as well as the ZL1 1LE, will continue to offer the six-speed manual as the exclusive transmission option.
As a reminder, the 2021 Camaro is tipped to be one of several upcoming 2021 GM vehicles delayed by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, with the updates likely pushed back to the 2022 model year instead.