Back in 2018, Cadillac revamped its trim level structure with the introduction of the new Y trim level strategy, which starts with the Luxury trim as the base, then splits into the Premium Luxury and the Sport along two parallel paths. The trims each have their own unique offerings with regard to aesthetics and driving dynamics, and now, according to a recent report from our sister publication, Cadillac Society, we know that the take-rate for the Sport trim accounts for almost half of overall Cadillac sales.
The report, which cites unnamed “Cadillac product marketing personnel,” explains that the Sport trim accounts for roughly 45 percent of sales under the Y trim level strategy. Meanwhile, the parallel Premium Luxury trim and base-model Luxury trim account for the remaining 55 percent of Cadillac sales.
Clearly, the Cadillac sales numbers prove just how much the Sport trim level resonates with customers. As the recent Cadillac Society report points out, it would have been difficult to imagine the rise in popularity of Cadillac’s Sport vehicles just 10 years ago, given the brand was one of the last premium automakers to adopt a differentiation strategy between Luxury and Sporty model variants, unlike early adopters like Mercedes-Benz and BMW.
Cadillac Sport models stand out thanks to darker exterior accents and unique styling bits, plus more engaging driving dynamics, whereas the Luxury and Premium luxury models boast chrome accents and a more isolated, comfort-oriented character.
What’s more, the availability of the Platinum Package is now extended to both the Premium Luxury and Sport trims, which means customers can pair the look of the Sport with the features of the Platinum Package, boosting Cadillac sales in the process.
The Y trim level strategy was first introduced with the all-new 2019 Cadillac XT4 and refreshed 2019 Cadillac CT6, and later applied to the all-new 2020 Cadillac CT6 and refreshed Cadillac XT5. The all-new 2021 Cadillac Escalade also adopts the Y trim level strategy, as do the Cadillac CT4 and CT5 four-door sedans.
This post was created in collaboration with our sister publication, Cadillac Society.