Amid a challenging environment highlighted by weakened consumer demand, the company continued the transformation of its product portfolio, including the introduction of a greater amount of luxury vehicles, large SUVs, and the ongoing development and rollout of its new energy vehicle (NEV) lineup.
“During the downturn, we are focused on bolstering our product lineup and improving cost efficiency to position our company for strong performance in China over the long term,” said Matt Tsien, GM executive vice president and president of GM China. “We expect the market downturn to continue in 2020, and anticipate ongoing headwinds in our China business.”
GM will continue its launch cadence across brands in China this year, following the introduction of more than 20 new and refreshed models in 2019. The launches will focus around luxury vehicles as well as midsize/large SUVs and MPVs, which have become the segments with the strongest increases in customer demand in China and globally.
SAIC-GM Sales – 2019 Calendar Year
The 2019 calendar year sales results at SAIC-GM – GM’s primary joint venture in China responsible for Buick, Chevrolet and Cadillac operations – decreased 15.3 percent to 1,481,724 units:
Buick sales decreased 16,7 percent to 850,007 units
- GM said the all-new Enclave large SUV has had healthy sales since its launch in November. With the introduction of the China-market Enclave, Buick now has a complete crossover lineup spanning compact, midsize and large SUVs.
- The China-market Enclave is significantly different from the North American model
Chevrolet sales decreased 20.1 percent to 418,000 units
- The Bow Tie brand strengthened its SUV presence in China with the launch of the Tracker and Trailblazer.
- In 2020, Chevrolet will add the all-new three-row Blazer to solidify its foothold in this growing segment in China.
Cadillac sales increased 4 percent to 213,717 units
- Cadillac reached an all-time high of 213,717 units sold in China the last year.
- At the end of the year, it added the CT5 midsize luxury sedan and the XT6 large luxury SUV.
- Cadillac will introduce the CT4 compact luxury sedan this year, giving Cadillac its strongest portfolio ever in China, which is enjoying a steadily-growing luxury vehicle sector.
SAIC-GM-Wuling Sales – 2019 Calendar Year
The 2019 calendar year sales results at SAIC-GM-Wuling – GM’s other Chinese joint venture responsible for Wuling and Baojun brands – decreased 15 percent to 1,611,880 units:
Baojun sales decreased 27.5 percent to 608,269 units
- In 2019, Baojun introduced four all-new models in eight months – the RS-5 SUV, RM-5 MPV, RC-6 sedan and RS-3 SUV.
- In 2020, Baojun will maintain its intensive product launch cadence to strengthen its brand image and portfolio.
Wuling sales decreased 5 percent to 1,003,611 units
- Wuling retained its leadership position in the mini-commercial vehicle segment, and this year will continue to expand its presence in passenger vehicle segments.
Sales Results - Q4 2019 - China - GM Totals
|BRAND||Q4 2019 / Q4 2018||Q4 2019||Q4 2018||YTD 2019 / YTD 2018||YTD 2019||YTD 2018|
|GM CHINA TOTAL||-13.32%||836,174||964,714||-15.13%||3,093,604||3,645,044|
About The Numbers
- All percent change figures compared to GM China sales for 2018 year, except when noted
- GM China sales figures represent retail sales
- GM does not provide individual sales performance of sales in China
Further Reading & Sales Reporting
- GM news
- Running GM sales results
- GM calendar year 2019 sales numbers:
- GM 2019 sales U.S.A.
- Chevrolet sales 2019 U.S.A.
- Cadillac sales 2019 U.S.A.
- Buick sales 2019 U.S.A.
- GMC sales 2019 U.S.A.
- GM Canada sales 2019
- Chevrolet Canada sales 2019
- Cadillac Canada sales 2019
- Buick Canada sales 2019
- GMC Canada sales 2019
- GM Mexico sales 2019
- Chevrolet Mexico sales 2019
- Cadillac Mexico sales 2019
- Buick Mexico sales 2019
- GMC Mexico sales 2019
- GM China sales 2019 (this page)
- Chevrolet China 2019 sales
- Buick China 2019 sales
- Cadillac China 2019 sales
- GM Brazil sales 2019
- GM Korea sales 2019
- Chevrolet 2019 sales South Korea
- Cadillac 2019 sales South Korea
- GM 2019 sales U.S.A.