GM Uzbekistan Now Wholly Owned By Uzbek Government4
GM Uzbekistan, the Uzbek arm of General Motors, is now wholly owned by a state-run holding company and has been renamed UZAUTO Motors.
GM Uzbekistan was once a joint venture between the state-owned Uzbek OJSC UzAvtosanoat and General Motors itself, with UzAvtosanoat having a 75% stake and GM holding the remaining 25%.
The company was first established in 1996 as part of a joint venture between the Uzbek government and Korean brand Daewoo. This initial joint venture was called UzDaewoo Auto; however, it was eventually renamed GM Uzbekistan after GM acquired Daewoo’s assets in 2001.
In early June GM Uzbekistan announced it would begin producing the Chevrolet Trailblazer, Chevrolet Equinox and Chevrolet Traverse crossovers in the country. The TrailBlazer produced locally will not be the new subcompact crossover (that is being built in South Korea only), but rather the global version sold in Australia, India and elsewhere.
At the time, GM Uzbekistan’s head of strategic planning Rustam Kodirov said he expected the vehicles to launch in the country “in December, or at the beginning of next year.”
GM Uzbekistan markets cars under both the Chevrolet and Ravon brands. These include the Chevrolet Tracker, Malibu, Labo and Damas along with the Ravon Matiz, Cobalt, Lacetti, Spark, and Nexia. The company formerly sold cars under the Chevy brand only before launching the Ravon budget brand in 2015. Ravon cars are also exported from Uzbekistan to Russia.
The GM subsidiary operates three production sites: a main site in Asaka and two secondary sites in Tashkent and Pitnak. It employed 5,000 people as of a 2010 census and has an annual production rate of around 130,000 vehicles per year.
Subscribe to GM Authority for more GM business news, GM Uzbekistan news, and around-the-clock GM news coverage.
- Sweepstakes Of The Month: Win a 2023 Corvette Z06 Convertible. Details here.
Won’t be the last time you see something like this. Fully expect all GM manufacturing in China to be totally state owned in the near future
You really have no clue.
This is completely different from China and would never happen there.
You should change your name to “huffull of hot air”
Okay little buddy, we’ll see. Chinese govt also wouldn’t put people in internment camps for ideas deemed hostile to their regime. Oh wait…
For what it’s worth, I hope you’re right that it won’t happen. Although, you wouldn’t be the first person to say “never would it happen”.
Was it worth it? Seems these companies will take over one way or another. Maybe GM should open a plant in Cuba.