The Holden Commodore doesn’t sell at the same volumes it did even 10 years ago, but it remains a strong seller in the large car category. Yet, some unpopular configurations are set to expire in the near future.
Holden executive director sales Peter Keley told Motoring in a Friday report the ZB Commodore will see some configurations go away, and it’s most likely diesel-powered models that will get the chop. Keley specifically said the diesels are selling in “very low numbers,” before adding it’s “one of the things we’re looking at.”
The Holden Commodore lineup mimics the 2019 Buick Regal portfolio, which includes the Sportback (liftback sedan) and the rugged wagon version, the Regal TourX. Holden calls it the Commodore Tourer. Holden also gets the standard wagon version without the rugged looks, which it calls the Commodore Sportwagon.
Keley commented that volume remains good enough to remain committed to the nameplate. The sedan regularly outsells the Kia Stinger in Australia, and it comes in at number two behind the Toyota Camry when combining large and medium car sales.
What isn’t clear is the car’s future. The current Holden Commodore likely has a six-year lifespan at max. The current car and the Buick Regal are built in Germany by Opel. Parent automaker to Buick and Holden, General Motors, sold the Opel division in 2017 to France’s PSA Group, which is now responsible for Commodore and Regal production. The license to build the cars runs out in the early first half of the next decade.
So far, we haven’t heard any word on a replacement for the Buick Regal. Should the Regal die, it’s likely the Commodore will, too. Given the fact that Buick killed the slow-selling LaCrosse and it continues to add new crossovers instead, its future looks murky, to say the least.