General Motors has issued a recall for more than 364,000 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra Heavy Duty and Medium Duty trucks with diesel engines, as the trucks’ engine block heaters may pose a fire risk.
The defect: 364,300 units of the Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD trucks could have faulty engine block heater wiring, which may short circuit and subsequently lead to a fire. According to GM, there have been five reported fires caused by faulty engine block heaters, which occurred in either 2018 GMC Sierra 2500 or 3500 trucks. The automaker opened an investigation into the matter this February.
The hazards: there are a couple of reasons why the engine block heater in affected trucks may short circuit. According to the recall filing, coolant can leak onto the engine block heater and cause a fire if the coolant makes contact with the cable terminals while the engine block heater is plugged in. A short circuit can also easily occur if the engine block heater cord becomes damaged or frayed due to misuse or improper storage.
Coolant from the block heater may be found under the truck, which is a clear warning sign that the truck could pose a fire risk.
Affected components: engine block heater and engine block heater cord.
- 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 4500 Medium Duty
- 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 5500 Medium Duty
- 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 6500 Medium Duty
- 2017-2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Heavy Duty
- 2017-2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Heavy Duty
- 2017-2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Heavy Duty
- 2017-2019 GMC Sierra 3500 Heavy Duty
Number of vehicles affected: 364,300, of which:
- 324,000 are located in the U.S.
- 40,300 are located in Canada
The fix: GM is unsure how to fix the problem at this time and thus the recall has not yet officially begun. Owners will be contacted at a later date with more info.
Owners should: owners of affected vehicles are advised not use their engine block heater until the truck can be repaired by an official GM service center. They can also contact GM customer service with questions by using the following information.
- Chevrolet Customer Service: 1-800-222-1020
- GMC Customer Service: 1-800-462-8782
- GM Recall Number: 18278
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
- NHTSA Recall Number: 18V586000