Buick Regal sales decreased in the United States and in Mexico in the first quarter of 2019.
Buick Regal Sales - Q1 2019 - United StatesIn the United States, Buick Regal deliveries totaled 3,408 units in Q1 2019, a decrease of about 8 percent compared to 3,708 units sold in Q1 2018.
|Q1 2019 / Q1 2018
Buick Regal Sales - Q1 2019 - CanadaIn Canada, Buick Regal deliveries totaled 287 units in Q1 2019, an increase of about 184 percent compared to 101 units sold in Q1 2018.
|Q1 2019 / Q1 2018
Buick Regal Sales - Q1 2019 - MexicoIn Mexico, Buick Regal deliveries totaled 1 units in Q1 2019, a decrease of about 91 percent compared to 11 units sold in Q1 2018.
|Q1 2019 / Q1 2018
Competitive Sales Comparison
The Regal family bumped up to second place in its competitive set during the first quarter, overtaking the Kia Stinger. That puts the Regal behind the segment leader – the Acura TLX – and gives the Regal 25 percent segment share, up three percent from Q1 2018.
Though the Acura TLX sold twice as many units as the Buick Regal and accounted for 51 percent segment share, its sales fell more than any other vehicle in its segment. Sales of the Kia Stinger also fell more than those of the Regal, at nearly 18 percent.
Sales Numbers - Sporty Midsize Premium Cars - Q1 2019 - United States
|Q1 19 / Q1 18
|Q1 19 SHARE
|Q1 18 SHARE
The sporty midsize premium car segment shrunk almost 18 percent to 13,664 units in Q1 2019.
The GM Authority Take
Buick Regal sales are exhibiting resilience to demand fluctuations associated with consumers’ ongoing fascination with crossover utility vehicles, including Buick’s own Enclave and Encore, over the sedans body style. We see this as a very impressive feat for the Regal.
We believe that the following aspects enabled the model to reach this relative level of success:
- Healthy availability of the new, sixth-generation Regal Sportback and TourX at the dealer level
- An attractive, modern and highly competitive product offering in the Regal Sportback
- A unique, attractive, modern and highly competitive product offering in the Regal TourX that provides a unique alternative to a crossover
- A lower base price compared to direct rivals
Even so, Regal sales don’t even come close to those of the Acura TLX. Hence, we believe that Regal sales would be even higher if GM/Buick marketed the vehicle and dealers were more incentivized to sell it.
We expect Buick Regal sales to continue to persevere throughout 2019 as it continues to close the gap with Acura TLX while surpassing the Kia Stinger, so long as supply allows. This last part is not guaranteed due to issues associated with the Russelsheim plant that produces the Regal. The facility is owned and operated by PSA Groupe since GM sold Opel to PSA in 2017.
About The Numbers
- All percent change figures compared to Buick Regal Q1 2018 sales
- In the United States, there were 76 selling days in Q1 2019 and 76 selling days in Q1 2018
- U.S. Buick Regal sales include Buick Regal Sportback, Buick Regal TourX and Buick Regal GS
- China sales figures represent retail deliveries and not wholesales
About Buick Regal
TheÂ Buick RegalÂ is a midsize-sizeÂ premiumÂ passenger vehicleÂ line that is currently in its sixth generation and slots above the compact Excelle and Verano (in China) and below the full-size LaCrosse (in North America and in China).Â The Regal family currentlyÂ consists of the following models:
- Regal Sportback - a four-door Regal sedan with a liftback trunk
- Regal GS -Â a four-door Regal Sportback with several performance upgrades
- Regal TourX - a five-door ruggedized wagon
Buick revealed the all-new RegalÂ in April 2017 at the New York Auto Show andÂ the vehiclesÂ launched for the 2018 model year. The sixth-gen model is based onÂ theÂ GM E2Â platform, which also underpins the 2016 and newerÂ Chevrolet MalibuÂ and upcomingÂ Cadillac XT4.Â The Regal is also sold as theÂ second-generation Opel-Vauxhall InsigniaÂ and the NGÂ 2018 Holden CommodoreÂ in Australia and New Zealand by GM subsidiaryÂ Holden.
Prior to the launch of the sixth-gen model, the fifth-generation Regal was available for a total of seven model years, from 2011 thru 2017.Â That model rode on theÂ GM Epsilon II platformÂ also shared with the first-gen Opel-Vauxhall Insignia and eighth-generation Malibu.
For the 2019 model year, the Buick Regal family gets a new Avenir trim level, along with Whisper Beige seats with Ebony interior accents for the Regal Sportback as well as a newÂ cabin air ionizerÂ for the Sportback and TourX models.
The sixth-gen Buick Regal is built at the following facilities:
- Opel RÃ¼sselsheim plantÂ in Germany, satisfying North American markets, and
- Shanghai-GM Jinqiao South plant operated byÂ GM ChinaÂ and its partner, SAIC,Â satisfyingÂ the Chinese market
Related News & Info
- GM news
- GM forums
- Buick RegalÂ information
- RunningÂ GM salesÂ results