The 2020 Camaro SS has received styling changes after updates applied for the 2019 model year received negative feedback from consumers.
Chevy fans anticipated these 2020 Camaro SS updates after the automaker showed off the Camaro SS Shock design study at last year’s SEMA Show in Las Vegas with the same revised front end. This new front fascia moves the Chevrolet bowtie emblem from the crossbar in the center of the fascia to the upper portion of the grille and also does away with the contrasting black painted portions.
“Customers spoke, and we listened,” said Chevy’s director of passenger car marketing, Steve Majoros. “The overwhelmingly positive reaction to the Shock’s stylized design helped prompt its transition from concept to production.”
The original fascia design, which was almost universally panned, was said to have been implemented in order to create a sense of uniformity between the Camaro SS and the rest of Chevy’s passenger car lineup.
Chevrolet has applied some other updates to the 2020 Camaro lineup as well. Content that was previously exclusive to better-equipped models will now be available on the entry-level LS and LT models, while a new Rally Green exterior color has been added to the pony car’s color pallete as well. Camaros with the 3.6-liter V6 have also tossed out GM’s old 8-speed transmission in favor of the superior 10-speed, too.
Here’s a list of some of the more subtle changes:
- Rally Green exterior color.
- Rear spoiler available on LS and LT (previously RS package only).
- Dark-tinted taillamps available on LS and LT.
- 20-inch forged aluminum wheels available on LT, all-new LT1 model and SS.
- Red or orange brake calipers available on LT, LT1 and SS models.
- Red seat belts available on all models (previously ZL1 only).
- Red kneepads available on all models.
- RECARO performance seats available on LT (previously 1LE only).
- Sueded microfiber-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob trim available on LT and SS (previously ZL1 and 1LE only).
- Alloy pedals available on all models (previously ZL1 only).
- Black bowtie badges and Camaro fender badge available on LT.
- Adrenaline Red and Ceramic White leather interiors now available on 2LT (previously 3LT and 2SS only).
- 3LT now comes standard with the 2.0L Turbo engine and the Convenience and Lighting package (previously optional).
General Motors says the 2020 Camaro SS and the rest of the 2020 Camaro lineup will go on sale early this fall, with production set to begin at its Lansing Grand River Assembly plant in Michigan shortly.