The value of GM stock increased during the April 8th, 2019 – April 12th, 2019 timeframe. Shares closed the week at $39.71 per share, which represents an increase of $0.77 per share, or 1.97 percent, compared to last week’s closing value of $38.94.
Movements in GM stock value for the week were as follows:
- Monday, April 8th: GM stock opened the day (and the week) at $38.77 and closed at $39.06
- Tuesday, April 9th: GM stock opened at $38.85 and closed at $38,86
- Wednesday, April 10th: opened at $38.89 and closed at $39.25
- Thursday, April 11th: General Motors stock opened at $39.38 and rose to $39.33 at market close
- Friday, April 12th: opened at $39.60 and climbed slightly to close at $39.71 – $0.77 higher than last week, during which time GM stock gained $1.81 in value
The change represents the third consecutive week of growth for the value of GM stock following a two-week-long slump. Shares saw a weekly low of $38.58 (on Monday) and a weekly high of $40.05 per share (on Friday). By comparison, shares of GM’s cross-town rival, the Ford Motor Company, gained $0.27 in value during the week.
Over the last few years, GM has taken many steps to increase the value of its stock, including exiting markets where it can’t find ways to turn a profit (such as Europe, South Africa and India), closing plants in various parts of the world, divesting loss-making divisions (such as Opel-Vauxhall), making adjustments to its business model in order to prioritize profitability over chasing market share goals, focusing on its Cadillac luxury brand to increase its share of high-profit automobiles, investing heavily into new-age mobility ventures such as electric vehicles and autonomous driving tech, and discontinuing some sedans (Cruze, Impala, LaCrosse, XTS) to focus on more profitable crossovers, SUVs, and pickup trucks.
Despite these notable actions, the value of GM stock has historically hovered around the $33 per share mark, roughly the IPO price of the “new GM” in November 2010 – a circumstance that has had many investors frustrated. However, the current value of $38.94 marks a notable improvement in the value of GM shares. In fact, GM stock has gained 18 percent since opening the year at $33.64 per share on January 2nd, 2019.