Behold GMC’s 2020 Sierra HD. All-new for the 2020 model year, the new heavy duty pickup truck is bigger, stronger and smarter than ever before, bringing form and function together for greater trailering capability with technologies designed to provide a world-class towing experience.
“The all-new 2020 Sierra HD is the most capable heavy-duty truck that we’ve ever offered,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global GMC. “For customers who demand a premium, innovative heavy-duty truck that supports their passions, the next-generation Sierra HD can pull like a pro.”
Compared to the current model, the 2020 Sierra HD has:
- A longer wheelbase, a taller, more dominant hood line and taller overall height
- A larger grille and complementing functional hood scoop to feed an advanced cooling system for the Duramax turbo diesel
- Class-leading heavy-duty cargo bed volume and 12 corner tie-downs with a new, available 120-volt power outlet
- One-inch-lower bed lift-in height compared to the outgoing 2019 Sierra Heavy Duty, providing easier loading and fifth-wheel and gooseneck trailer hitching
- New, segment-exclusive cargo bed side steps (Bed Step) on all box styles, located in front of the rear wheel openings, that complement integrated CornerSteps in the rear bumper to improve access to the cargo area
- The six-function MultiPro tailgate available on all trim levels and standard on SLT, AT4 and Denali
The 2020 Sierra HD is bigger and bolder in every way. It has a commanding, powerful design rooted in a new architecture with larger proportions. It is taller and longer than its predecessor, with a more confident stance defined by a bold design that embodies GMC’s signature refinement and technologically-driven attention to detail.
But this isn’t an example of form without function. The larger, commanding design provides more room for cargo and occupants.
“We took every opportunity to visually express the strength and capability that lies beneath the surface,” says Matt Noone, director of GMC exterior design. “The elevated hood line, the strong shoulders, the striking front grille – these cues communicate the strength and performance that have been engineered and built into each and every Sierra Heavy Duty.”
The all-new Sierra HD is highlighted by new signature lighting, including prominent “light blades” that deliver LED illumination for the daytime running lamps. LEDs are also used for the headlamps, taillamps, available fog lamps and other lighting elements, including the available roof marker lights that are standard on all dual-rear-wheel HDs and all Sierra HD Denalis (except where prohibited by law).
The MultiPro six-function tailgate allows easier loading, unloading and bed access. It is available on all trim levels.
The cabin of the new, 2020 Sierra HD features best-in-class maximum headroom and legroom for the driver and front-row occupants (on Crew Cab models). A higher seating position complements the truck’s taller profile to offer a confident view from behind the wheel. Additional optimized ergonomics emphasize easy, intuitive interaction with the vehicle’s available technologies, such as a heavy-duty segment-first head-up display and GMC’s latest touchscreen infotainment systems.
On the range-topping Sierra HD Denali, trim-exclusive materials, including premium leather-appointed seating, authentic open-pore wood trim and dark-finish aluminum decor, raise the interior’s refinement. The leather appointments have a distinctive, large-pebbled grain with a contrasting stitch pattern that is premium in appearance and touch without sacrificing durability, and the wood trim features an open-pore texture evocative of hand-planed furniture.
An available, 15-inch-diagonal head-up display is exclusive to the segment, and offers useful trailering information such as vehicle speed, navigation information and an inclinometer display for the road grade. The available Rear Camera Mirror is also a segment first.
This already powerful engine performs more efficiently thanks to increased cooling capacity delivered in part by improved air induction. A dual-path intake system draws dense, cool air through both the prominent hood scoop and the larger front grille.
The new Sierra HD marks the introduction of an all-new 10-speed Allison automatic transmission (which is not exactly an Allison) – the first-ever offered in the heavy-duty pickup segment. The all-new 10-speed transmission with closer gear spacing allows the engine to operate in an optimal range at all times with varying load and terrain conditions.
An all-new, segment-first, Allison 10-speed automatic transmission mated to the legendary 6.6L Duramax turbo diesel.
An all-new gasoline engine will be available, but details have not been announced.
GMC says that the bigger frame, stronger propulsion and smarter technologies in the 2020 Sierra HD are expected to deliver dramatically greater towing capacity than previous models, well in excess of 30,000 pounds.
First introduced with the 2019 Sierra light duty, the ProGrade Trailering System leverages technology advancements to offer additional features and functionality for the 2020 Sierra Heavy Duty.
“Trailering is the most important consideration for Sierra Heavy Duty customers, and the new features and technologies in the 2020 Sierra HD make it easier than ever to hitch a trailer and tow it confidently,” said Jaclyn McQuaid, vehicle chief engineer, Heavy Duty Trucks. “We’ve developed this new truck to offer the greatest trailering experience ever offered by GMC.”
To help optimize the driver’s view around the truck and compatible trailers to provide added confidence when towing, the system offers 15 unique camera views, including an industry-first transparent trailer view. Making this view possible is a tailgate-mounted camera and an available accessory camera mounted on the rear of the trailer, with the resulting display helping the driver to virtually see through the trailer, a benefit when navigating parking lots, merging into traffic or making tight turns.
In addition, owners of the 2020 Sierra HD will have access to available smart trailer technology designed to allow access to select features of the iN-Command control system from ASA Electronics via the myGMC mobile app, either on compatible Android and Apple iOS smartphones, or on the vehicle’s infotainment system via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Acting as the central hub of operations to monitor and control an array of systems in trailers equipped with next-generation technology, the iN-Command control system is similar to the features of a smart home. Depending on how a compatibly equipped trailer is configured, 2020 Sierra HD owners may be able to turn on the trailer’s air conditioning or water heater, check water and holding tank levels, or monitor fuel levels on trailers equipped with generators, all before arriving at their destination.
The ProGrade Trailering System also includes an in-vehicle Trailering App with the following functions:
- Trailer Light Test
- Trailer Electrical Diagnostics
- Trailer Tire Pressure
- Temperature Monitoring
- Pre-Maintenance Reminders
- Departure Checklist
Many of the Trailering app’s functions, including the lighting test and pre-departure checklist, are also available with the myGMC mobile app, which offers great convenience when outside the truck or trailer.
Additional available technologies and hardware to aid towing in the 2020 Sierra HD include:
- Auto Electric Park Brake to automatically apply the parking brake to help maintain truck position when hitching
- All-new Park Grade Hold Assist enhances hill hold by using braking effort at each wheel for an extended period of time
- All-new larger, door-mounted trailering mirrors with a four-bar link providing power extend and retract for the driver and passenger sides
- Integrated trailer brake controller that works with the trailer profile in the Trailering App to recall a specified trailer’s most recent gain setting
- Tow/Haul mode that remains engaged on the next key-on cycle, for up to four hours; includes a reminder the feature is engaged
- Hill Start Assist and Hill Descent Control
- Trailer Sway Control
- Auto Grade Braking and Diesel Exhaust Braking
- Digital Variable Steering Assist that dynamically optimizes power steering according to driving scenarios, including trailering, and enables features like road pull compensation
- Trailering Info Label placed on the driver’s door jamb that clearly calls out the truck’s specific trailering information, including curb weight, GVWR, GCWR, maximum payload, maximum tongue weight and rear GAWR
Sierra AT4 HD Joins Lineup
GMC will offer the 2020 Sierra HD in existing and new models. The lineup will consist of:
- Sierra HD base
The all-new Sierra AT4 Heavy Duty will be available on Crew Cab configurations in both a 2500 and 3500 single rear wheel configuration. Stay tuned for more details on the 2020 Sierra AT4 HD.
The GM Flint Assembly plant in Michigan will proudly build the 2020 Sierra Heavy Duty.
General Motors has invested $1.5 billion into the plant to support the next-generation Heavy Duty truck launch.
The 2020 Sierra HD goes on sale later this year in 2500HD and 3500HD dual rear wheel (dually) and single rear wheel configurations.
Pricing and complete specifications for the 2020 Sierra HD will be announced later.
Stay tuned to GM Authority for round-the-clock GMC news coverage.