GM has filed an application to register “Sport Control AWD” as a trademark with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), GM Authority has discovered.
The automaker’s September 20th, 2018 filing is assigned serial number 88125283, and specifies that the mark will be used in conjunction with the following types of goods and services:
- All-wheel drive systems and electronic stability control systems for vehicles
- Steering systems for vehicles
- Traction control systems for vehicles
- Suspension systems for vehicles
- Braking systems for vehicles
- Apparatus for locomotion by land, air or water; parts, fittings and components thereof
The GM Authority Take
The filing serves as a relatively straightforward indication that GM is planning to use the name “Sport Control AWD” for an all-wheel-drive system. The question now is just what that name will represent – a trick new AWD system, or simply a rebranding of the automaker’s existing all-wheel-drive systems.
Whatever it ends up gracing, we must say that we like the sound of “Sport Control AWD”. If nothing else, the new term reminds us briefly of the Super-Handling AWD moniker used by Honda-Acura, with whom GM happens to be in a partnership to develop various alternative energy vehicle technology, including fuel cell propulsion systems and battery technology for electric cars.