After mistaking our first sighting of the Cadillac CT4 for the CT5 last week and realizing that shortly after, we have been looking for opportunities to get a closer look at the CT4 once again. Our wish was granted yesterday, when our camera man caught up to a convoy of not one, not two, but three CT4 prototypes, and snapped a bunch of photos of each one.
Studying the ensuing pictures has enabled us to conclude with a high level of confidence that the CT4 will follow Cadillac’s new “Y trim level” strategy introduced on the XT4 crossover, which is offered in Luxury (base), Premium Luxury and Sport equipment groups.
|MODEL YEAR||MAKE||MODEL||TRIM LEVEL||WHEELS||TIRES||EXHAUST TIPS|
|2020||CADILLAC||CT4 (EXPECTED)||LUXURY (BASE)||17 INCH DOUBLE 5-SPOKE||CONTINENTAL PRO-CONTACT ALL-SEASON GRAND TOURING||DUAL TRAPEZOIDAL|
|2020||CADILLAC||CT4 (EXPECTED)||PREMIUM LUXURY||18 INCH QUADRUPLE 5-SPOKE||CONTINENTAL PRO-CONTACT ALL-SEASON GRAND TOURING||DUAL TRAPEZOIDAL|
|2020||CADILLAC||CT4 (EXPECTED)||SPORT||18 INCH DOUBLE 5-SPOKE||CONTINENTAL SPORT CONTACT 6 SSR (235/40 R18)||QUADRUPLE TRAPEZOIDAL|
CT4 Luxury (Base)
What we believe to be the model, known as “Luxury” within Cadillac’s new trim level hierarchy, features a rather tame appearance and two defining characteristics:
- 17-inch wheels with a rather simple dual-five-spoke pattern, the smallest wheels of the prototypes seen here
- Continental ProContact All-Season Grand Touring rubber
- Simple dual exhaust treatment with trapezoidal tips integrated into the rear fascia
From there, the customer can upgrade to either the Premium Luxury or the Sport trim, both of which are positioned on the same “level” in terms of features, while offering different personas, features and driving experiences.
CT4 Premium Luxury
What we believe to be Premium Luxury model features a more luxurious and less sporty appearance with two defining features:
- 18-inch wheels with a sumptuous multi-spoke design (quad five-spoke) that exudes luxury rather than sport
- Continental ProContact All-Season Grand Touring tires
- The same exhaust treatment as the Luxury/base model
We believe that this third model is the Sport trim level, represented by a more aggressively appearance and sporty features:
- 18-inch wheels with a sporty dual-five-spoke design
- 235/40 R18 Continental SportContact 6 SSR rubber – a high run-flat performance tire (the SSR designation denotes “Self Supporting Run-Flat”)
- A unique exhaust design with quad tips
The GM Authority Take
It would make sense that the future Cadillac CT4 would utilize the same trim level hierarchy as the XT4 crossover, as both models are aligned within the future Cadillac product portfolio. In fact, Cadillac refers to the CT4’s segment as “Lux Car 2” and to the XT4’s segment as “Lux SUV-2”, though we should note that both models are unrelated from a mechanical standpoint, as they ride on very different platforms (the rear-drive/longitudinal Alpha 2 architecture in the case of the CT4, and the front-drive/transverse E2 platform for the XT4).
It’s also worth noting that that the CT4 is expected to derive a high-performance CT4-V variant, but that model will likely arrive 12-24 months after the launch of the “regular” CT4 – so we will have to wait a while before seeing prototypes of that beast.
Stay tuned for more Cadillac CT4 news.