We previously covered the new Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System introduced by GM’s new pickup trucks, but the 2019 GMC Sierra goes well beyond that, offering a wealth of new features that aim to make towing easier, more convenient and safer.
First is the ProGrade Trailering package, which aims to improve the towing experience for the new 2019 Sierra. The package includes the following five features.
1. Hitch Guidance With Hitch View
The new Sierra’s Rear Vision Camera features dynamic guidelines for the truck itself when backing. That is nothing new. What is new is that the 2019 Sierra also has a guideline for the trailer hitch.
What’s more, a Hitch View mode allows the driver to zoom the camera on the hitch for careful maneuvering. It also allows for pan and tilt functions for a better angle. In addition, the system can also be briefly accessed while in (forward) motion, to ensure that the trailer is properly connected.
2. Auto Electric Parking Brake Assist
After backing up to a trailer hitch, the 2019 GMC Sierra will automatically apply the parking brake when shifted into park. Doing so prevents any further movement and helps with perfect positioning.
3. Hitch Area Lighting
A new lamp integrated into the tailgate panel shines directly down onto the receiver hitch area, easing trailer connections in the dark.
4. Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
The trailer brake controller on the 2019 GMC Sierra now allows drivers to program trailer brake level settings to specific trailer profiles.
5. In-Vehicle Trailering App
The new Trailering App is core to the towing experience provided by the ProGrade Trailering Package on the 2019 GMC Sierra. Integrated with and accessible through the Sierra’s new infotainment system, the Trailering App offers a variety of unique features designed specifically to improve the trailering experience, including:
- Pre-departure checklists
- Trailer light test
- Customizable trailer profiles
- Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring
- Trailer theft alert
- Trailer maintenance reminders
- Trailer mileage tracking
- Trailer tow/haul reminder
A lot of the functionality for the in-vehicle trailering app is also available in and integrated with the myGMC mobile app.
The ProGrade Trailering System on the 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 is assigned RPO code ZL6 and is available as follows.
- 1 – Package:
- (PDQ) SLE Preferred Package, and
- (NHT) Max Trailering Package or (Z82) Trailering Package, and
- (JL1) Trailer brake controller
- Includes (PTT) Trailer Tire Pressure Monitor System
Other 2019 Sierra Towing Features
In addition to the five features included in the ProGrade Trailing package, the 2019 GMC Sierra takes trailering convenience even further with the following four packages/features:
- Trailering Camera Package adds two rear-facing cameras integrated into the side mirrors, which are useful for seeing down the side of the truck and trailer during lane changes or when backing up. When paired with an available accessory trailer-mounted camera, the system can allow the driver to see down both sides and behind the trailer at the same time. The package is available on SLT, AT4 and Denali models.
- Tow/Haul Mode adjusts transmission shift points in order to deliver peak power when needed most. The 2019 GMC Sierra now provides a reminder to engage Tow/Haul Mode on the transmission when a trailer is detected. Further, Tow/Haul Mode remains engaged up to four hours after shutting down the engine, leaving one less thing to remember when hopping back into the truck after stopping for gas, food, or to enjoy a scenic stop along the drive route.
- Trailer Sway Control senses when a towed trailer begins to sway and applies tow vehicle brakes and/or dials back engine power to bring the trailer back under control. When paired with the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller and a trailer with electric brakes, the trailer’s brakes may also be applied to help stabilize the trailer.
- Automatic Grade Braking senses when the driver wants to slow the truck and trailer down on a steep incline and automatically triggers downshifts to reduce brake use and wear.
Before you ask: the 2019 Sierra’s Chevy-badged brother – the all-new 2019 Silverado – also offers many of these features in different packages and configurations. We will cover these features in a subsequent article, so be sure to stay tuned and subscribe to GM Authority.
GMC Sierra Resources & Info
- GM news
- GMC Sierra information
- Running GM sales results