In a shock move, Holden announced it will pause development of its 3.6-liter twin-turbo V6 engine for the Supercars series and stick with the ZB Commodore Supercar’s current V8 engine.
Work began on the twin-turbo V6 engine in 2016 and Holden’s factory-backed team, Triple Eight Race Engineering, was scheduled to run the new engine as a wildcard in a handful of Supercars series races this year. The engine was pegged for deployment in 2019 to replace the V8-powered Supercar.
Holden marketing director Mark Harland told Supercars in a statement on Thursday that “After working closely with all Holden teams we have decided to put a hold on the development of the V6 Supercars engine.”
With the twin-turbo V6 engine out, Triple Eight and Holden will focus on the ZB Commodore Supercar and last year’s 5.0-liter V8 engine to continue its winning streak.
“We’re very confident that the package would have been fully competitive and know that we have an extremely valuable bank of knowledge to refer to as and when a different engine platform is explored again in the future,” Triple Eight owner Roland Dane said.
The 3.6-liter twin-turbo V6 would have been familiar to those of us in the United States too; it shared much with the Cadillac ATS-V.R GT3‘s powerplant. Holden’s new engine would have been the first take advantage of Supercars’ new regulations that allow different powertrains and vehicle body styles to compete.