General Motors and its joint ventures reported 352,346 new vehicle deliveries for March 2018 in China, a 2 percent increase from March 2017.
Sales increased at Chevrolet, Buick, and Cadillac, while decreasing at Baojun and Wuling. In fact, Buick and Cadillac had record March deliveries.
In 2018, GM will introduce 15 new and refreshed models to support sustained growth in its largest retail market. About half of those 15 new and refreshed models will be SUVs and MPVs to satisfy strong consumer demand.
Shanghai GM Sales – March 2018
March 2018 sales results at Shanghai GM — GM’s primary joint venture in China responsible for Chevrolet, Buick, and Cadillac vehicle sales — were as follows.
Chevrolet China Sales – March 2018
Chevrolet sales increased 35.3 percent to 47,017 units, the brand’s eighth month of double-digit growth in the past nine months:
- Chevrolet Cavalier sales increased 85 percent to nearly 19,000 units
- The Cavalier was initially introduced as the second-generation Cruze in China, but was renamed to Cavalier when the all-new, second-gen global Cruze was introduced in the market
- Chevrolet introduced the Cavalier 325T with a new-generation Ecotec 1.0L turbocharged engine in March to further bolster sales of its best-selling nameplate in China
- Chevrolet Malibu sales increased 33 percent to about 9,600 units
- Chevrolet Equinox sales accounted for nearly 6,000 units
Buick China Sales – March 2018
Buick sales increased 4 percent to 92,007 units, setting a new March record:
- Buick Excelle GT sedan sales increased reached nearly 24,000 units
- Buick Verano sales increased 13 percent to over 15,000 units
- Buick GL8 sales increased 24 percent to over 13,000 units
In March 2017, Buick announced the Buick Velite 5 — its first extended-range electric vehicle (EREV). Essentially a Buick-badged second-generation Chevrolet Volt, the vehicle has fuel consumption as low as 0.9 liter/100 kilometers. In the coming two years, the brand will launch plug-in hybrid and pure battery electric vehicles to expand its green car lineup. The brand will soon introduce a new hybrid model called Velite 6 in China.
Cadillac China Sales – March 2018
Cadillac continued to build its presence in the Chinese market, increasing sales 46 percent to 18,007 units. The results represent the 25th consecutive month of double-digit Cadillac sales growth in China as well as a new March sales record:
- Cadillac XT5 sales increased 36 percent to 6,100 units
- Cadillac XTS sales increased 65 percent to 5,100 units
- Cadillac ATS-L sales increased 32 percent to 5,200 units
- Cadillac CT6 sales nearly doubled to over 1,500 units
Cadillac’s sales performance in China outpaced its U.S. sales volume by 3,513 units during the month.
SAIC-GM-Wuling Sales – March 2018
March 2018 sales results at GM’s other Chinese joint venture — SAIC-GM-Wuling — were as follows:
Baojun China Sales – March 2018
Baojun sales decreased 5.4 percent to 76,980 units:
- Baojun 510 sales nearly doubled to over 32,000 units, remaining the brand’s sales sales champion for a full year
- Baojun 310 sales increased 58 percent to more than 16,000 units
- About two-thirds of those sales went to the Baojun 310 wagon
- Baojun 530 sales totaled about 10,000 units following its launch on March 11th
- The new compact SUV available in eight variants
Wuling China Sales – March 2018
Wuling sales decreased 7.9 percent to 118,335 units, as the brand sustained its leadership in the mini-commercial vehicle space:
- Sales of the Hong Guang MPV family, Wuling’s best-selling nameplate, totaled over 45,000 units
- The Hong Guang S3, which was introduced in November, contributed about a quarter of sales. than 46,000 units
In the first three months of 2018 (or the first quarter of 2018), GM China sales increased 8 percent to 986,052 units.
Sales Results - March 2018 - China - GM Totals
|BRAND||MAR 2018 / MAR 2017||MARCH 2018||MARCH 2017||YTD 2018 / YTD 2017||YTD 2018||YTD 2017|
|GM CHINA TOTAL||+1.98%||352,346||345,492||+7.95%||986,052||913,442|
About The Numbers
- All percent change figures compared to GM China March 2017 sales
- Starting with April 2015 sales results, GM began reporting retail sales rather than wholesales in China. All numbers above represent retail sales.
Further Reading & Sales Reporting
- GM news
- Running GM sales results
- GM incentives and offers
- MarchÂ 2018 GM salesÂ results
- U.S.Â GM March 2018 salesÂ results
- GMÂ Canada March 2018 salesÂ results
- GM China March 2018 salesÂ results
- Chevrolet Korea March 2018 sales results
- Cadillac Korea March 2018 sales results