General Motors and its joint ventures reported 265,994 new vehicle deliveries for February 2018 in China, a 7.8 percent increase from February 2017, despite fewer selling days due to the Chinese Lunar New Year holiday occurring last month compared to January 2017.
Sales increased at Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac and Baojun, while decreasing at Wuling.
In 2018, GM will introduce 15 new and refreshed models to support sustained growth in its largest retail market. About half of those 15 new and refreshed models will be SUVs and MPVs to satisfy strong consumer demand.
Shanghai GM Sales – February 2018
February 2018 sales results at Shanghai GM — GM’s primary joint venture in China responsible for Chevrolet, Buick, and Cadillac vehicle sales — were as follows.
Chevrolet China Sales – February 2018
Chevrolet sales increased 25.4 percent to 29,000 units, the brand’s seventh month of double-digit growth in the past eight months:
- Chevrolet Cavalier sales increased 86 percent to nearly 11,000 units. The vehicle was initially introduced as the second-generation Cruze in China, but was renamed to Cavalier when the all-new, second-gen global Cruze was introduced in the market.
- Chevrolet Malibu sales increased 53 percent to 6,400 units
- Chevrolet Equinox sales accounted for about 3,500 units
Buick China Sales – February 2018
Buick sales increased 22 percent to 66,507 units, the highest since September 2016:
- Buick Excelle GT sedan sales increased 35 percent to over 20,000 units
- Buick Verano sales increased 54 percent to over 11,000 units
- Buick GL8 sales totaled 7,500 units, with around half coming from the new-generation GL8
In March 2017, Buick announced the Buick Velite 5 — its first extended-range electric vehicle (EREV). Essentially a Buick-badged second-generation Chevrolet Volt, the vehicle has fuel consumption as low as 0.9 liter/100 kilometers. In the coming two years, the brand will launch plug-in hybrid and pure battery electric vehicles to expand its green car lineup. In addition, the brand has also announced the all-new 2018 Buick Regal. With 10 variants on offer, the new Regal builds on the success of the popular premium sedan nameplate.
Cadillac China Sales – February 2018
Cadillac continued to build its presence in the Chinese market, increasing sales 86.5 percent to 16,850 units. The results represent the 24th consecutive month of double-digit Cadillac sales growth in China as well as a new February sales record:
- Cadillac XT5 sales totaled over 6,300 units, remaining the brand’s best-selling model
- Cadillac XTS sales more than doubled to over 4,700 units
- Cadillac ATS-L sales increased 67 percent to 4,500 units
- Cadillac CT6 sales increased 50 percent to over 1,100 units
Cadillac’s sales performance in China outpaced its U.S. sales volume by 4,512 units during the month.
SAIC-GM-Wuling Sales – February 2018
February 2018 sales results at GM’s other Chinese joint venture — SAIC-GM-Wuling — were as follows:
Baojun China Sales – February 2018
Baojun sales increased 37.6 percent to 74,745 units, setting a new February record.
- Baojun 510 sales exceeded 32,000 units, remaining the brand’s best-selling model for the 11th consecutive month
- Baojun 310 sales increased 68 percent to over 18,000 units
Wuling China Sales – February 2018
Wuling sales decreased 25.4 percent to 78,892 units, as the brand sustained its leadership in the mini-commercial vehicle market:
- Sales of the Hong Guang MPV family, Wuling’s best-selling nameplate, saw deliveries of more than 46,000 units. The Hong Guang S3, which reached the market in November 2017, contributed one-third of sales
In the first two months of 2018, GM China sales increased 11.7 percent to 633,706 units.
Sales Results - February 2018 - China - GM Totals
|BRAND||FEB 2018 / FEB 2017||FEBRUARY 2018||FEBRUARY 2017||YTD 2018 / YTD 2017||YTD 2018||YTD 2017|
|GM CHINA TOTAL||+7.81%||265,994||246,730||+11.57%||633,706||567,994|
About The Numbers
- All percent change figures compared to GM China February 2017 sales
- Starting with April 2015 sales results, GM began reporting retail sales rather than wholesales in China. All numbers above represent retail sales.
Further Reading & Sales Reporting
- GM news
- Running GM sales results
- GM incentives and offers
- FebruaryÂ 2018 GM salesÂ results
- U.S.Â GM February 2018 salesÂ results
- GMÂ Canada February 2018 salesÂ results
- GM China February 2018 salesÂ results
- Global February 2018 Cadillac salesÂ results