General Motors and its joint ventures recorded 287,581 new vehicle deliveries in China in July 2017, an increase of 6.3 percent from July 2016. The results represent GM China’s highest July sales performance ever.
The Buick, Cadillac and Baojun brands had record results for July, while Chevrolet posted growth of 24 percent on an annual basis. GM’s performance was strong across segments, with SUVs remaining the biggest riser – generating growth of 50 percent year over year. Retail sales increased 6.3 percent from a year earlier to 287,581 vehicles.
GM will launch more than 10 new and refreshed models in the second half of 2017, including the new 2018 Buick Regal sedan, Baojun 310 Wagon and Wuling Hong Guang S3 SUV.
Shanghai GM Sales – July 2017
July 2017 sales at Shanghai GM — GM’s primary joint venture in China responsible for Chevrolet, Buick, and Cadillac vehicle sales — were as follows.
Chevrolet China Sales – July 2017
Chevrolet sales increased 23.8 percent to 37,501 units:
- Chevrolet Malibu sales more than doubled from a year earlier, accounting for one-fourth of the brand’s sales
- Chevrolet Cavalier sales surpassed 10,000 units during its first July in China; the model was previously the Chinese-market Cruze, but was refreshed and then rebranded as the Cavalier when the global Cruze launched in China
- The Equinox, Chevrolet’s best-selling global SUV, accounted for 3,500 deliveries in its third full month in the Chinese domestic market. The vehicle joined China’s highly competitive crossover segment in April as the 2018 Chevrolet Equinox and is the first GM model in China to adopt the new GM nine-speed automatic transmission.
- Chevrolet is expanding its powertrain portfolio with the upcoming introduction of a 1.0T engine
Buick China Sales – July 2017
Buick sales increased 4.4 percent to 93,347 units:
- Buick GL8 MPV family increased 55 percent from a year earlier, as the new GL8 and GL8 Avenir remained highly popular
- Buick Envision sales totaled 13,000 units, strengthening its foothold in its segment
- Buick LaCrosse sales increased 77 percent to nearly 7,000 units
- Buick Excelle GT sedan sales rose 19 percent to over 37,000 units
In March, Buick announced the Buick Velite 5 — its first extended-range electric vehicle (EREV). Essentially a Buick-badged second-generation Chevrolet Volt, the vehicle has fuel consumption as low as 0.9 liter/100 kilometers. In the coming two years, the brand will launch plug-in hybrid and pure battery electric vehicles to expand its green car lineup. In addition, the brand has also announced the all-new 2018 Buick Regal. With 10 variants on offer, the new Regal will build on the success of the popular premium sedan nameplate.
Cadillac China Sales – July 2017
GM’s luxury brand continued to build its presence in the Chinese market, with Cadillac sales growing 37.1 percent to 12,006 units — the brand’s 17th consecutive month of double-digit sales growth in China. The sales performance makes China the largest market by volume for Cadillac in July, with the United States coming in second place. In fact, July was the fourth month in a row where Cadillac sold more cars in China than in the U.S.
- Cadillac XT5 sales exceeded 4,000 units
- Cadillac ATS-L sales increased 66 percent, its 13th consecutive month of double-digit growth
- Cadillac CT6 sales increased 181 percent
SAIC-GM-Wuling Sales – July 2017
Sales results at GM’s other Chinese joint venture — SAIC-GM-Wuling — were as follows:
Baojun China Sales – July 2017
Baojun sales increased 61.2 percent to 71,433 units:
- Baojun 510 sales totaled more than 27,000 units, cementing its leadership position in Baojun’s portfolio for the fourth consecutive month
- Baojun 310 sales totaled 6,500 units in July; it was joined by the Baojun 310 wagon – which sold over 6,100 units in its first month on the market
- The Baojun E100 was launched in Liuzhou, Guangxi, in late July, giving the brand its first fully electric vehicle
Wuling China Sales – July 2017
Wuling sales decreased 25 percent to 73,294 units:
- Wuling Hong Guang, the most popular Wuling nameplate in China, saw deliveries of over 30,000 units
- Later this year, Wuling will introduce its first SUV – the Hong Guang S3 – to take advantage of one of China’s fastest-growing vehicle segments
Sales Summary - July 2017 - General Motors - China
|Brand||July 2017 / July 2016||July 2017||July 2016||YTD 2016 / YTD 2015||YTD 2017||YTD 2016|
About The Numbers
- All percent change figures compared to GM China July 2016 sales, except as noted
- Starting with April 2015 sales results, GM began reporting retail sales rather than wholesales in China. All numbers above represent retail sales.
Further Reading & Sales Reporting
- GM news
- Running GM sales results
- July 2017 GM sales results
- U.S. GM July 2017 sales results
- GM Canada July 2017 sales results
- Canada July 2017 Chevrolet sales results
- Canada July 2017 Cadillac sales results
- Canada July 2017 Buick sales results
- Canada July 2017 GMC sales results
- Global July 2017 Cadillac sales results