Not only is the Suburban the longest-running nameplate in the history of Chevrolet, but it’s the longest-running nameplate in the history of Chevy’s parent firm, General Motors. In fact, it’s also the king of continuous U.S. automotive production. Granted, the vehicle we know today as the Suburban has come quite a long way from the 1935 introduction of the Suburban Carryall, but the idea is mostly the same: a strong chassis with a lot of space to haul people and their things. And that very formula — now in its 11th generation — is getting some updates for the 2018 model year that are in line with those of its shorter brother — the 2018 Chevy Tahoe.
On the outside, the 2018 Suburban removes the Champagne Silver Metallic color and replaces it with Satin Steel Metallic. It also makes LED Daytime Running Lamps standard on the LS and LT trim levels.
In addition, the previously-announced Suburban RST (Rally Sport Truck) appearance package is added to the LT (1LT) and Premier (1LZ) trim levels, and includes:
- 22″ Gloss Black aluminum wheels with custom silver inserts
- Front and rear black bowties
- Unique Gloss Black Sport grille with body-color surround
- Body-color door handles
- Body-color headlamp accents
- Black mirror caps
- Black beltline moldings
- Black roof rails
- Black nameplate badging
Inside, the 2018 Chevy Suburban deletes the Cocoa / Mahogany interior color combination in conjunction with Pepperdust Metallic exterior color. It also deletes Wireless/Inductive Phone Charging on the Luxury Package or the Texas Edition Package on the LT trim level.
In addition, the 2018 Suburban adds various standard and optional features to the Fleet/Commercial (1FL) trim level, including:
- Addition of steering wheel-mounted audio, cruise and Driver Information Center controls as standard on 1FL trim level; the features were not available for the 2017 Chevrolet Suburban
- Replacement of single-color Driver Information Center with 4.2-inch diagonal multi-color Driver Information Center as standard equipment on 1FL trim level; it was not available in 2017 model year
- Addition of LED Daytime Running Lamps as standard equipment
- Addition of HD Radio as standard on 1FL trim level; it was not available for the 2017 Chevy Suburban
- Replacement of IO3 AM/FM stereo with CD player with IO5 Chevrolet MyLink Radio with 8-inch diagonal color touch-screen as standard on 1FL; the IO5 radio was not available on the 1FL trim level in the 2017 Chevy Suburban
- Addition of Enhanced Driver Alert Package as an option with the 1FL trim level; the package was not available for the 2017 model year Suburban 1FL, and includes:
From a mechanical standpoint, the 2018 Suburban remains powered by the 5.3L L83 V-8 engine with Active Fuel Management/Cylinder Deactivation, Direct Injection and Variable Valve Timing. The engine is rated at 355 horses (265 kW) @ 5600 rpm and 383 pound-feet of torque (518 Nm) @ 4100 rpm and mated to a six-speed automatic transmission.
We should not that unlike the 2018 Chevy Tahoe, the 2018 Suburban does not offer the Performance Package, which includes the 6.2L V-8 L86 engine, the new GM 10-speed automatic transmission, and specifically-tuned Magnetic Ride Control
Lastly, the 2018 Suburban adds Tire Fill Alert to the Tire Pressure Monitoring System.
New Model Incoming
Despite the current, gen-11 Suburban being a great vehicle, it starting to get outclassed by its direct rivals. As such, we expect that the next Chevy Suburban on the GM T1 platform will launch for the 2020-2021 model year, making the all-new model right around the corner. As such, any noteworthy features not added to the 2018 Suburban will likely not be introduced until the launch of the all-new model.
The 2018 Chevy Suburban is built at the GM Arlington factory in Texas alongside other GM SUVs on the GM K2 platform, including the 2018 Chevrolet Tahoe, 2018 GMC Yukon, 2018 GMC Yukon XL, 2018 Cadillac Escalade and 2018 Cadillac Escalade ESV.
The updates and changes described here are specific to the U.S. market and may be different for other markets.
More Information & Reporting
- Chevrolet Suburban info
- Chevy Suburban sales numbers
- Chevy Suburban news