Though not the most exciting vehicle, the Cadillac XT5 has quickly become the brand’s best-selling vehicle since launching in April 2016, in no small part thanks to the ongoing shift on consumer buying dynamics wherein car buyers are increasingly in crossovers over other vehicle types, such as sedans. The 2018 model year will represent the XT5’s second year on the market, for which it’s getting a few updates and new features.
First things first: the 2018 Caddy XT5 deletes two exterior colors and adds three new ones:
- Dark Adriatic Blue Metallic
- Silver Coast Metallic
- Harbor Blue Metallic (extra charge except on Platinum)
- Deep Amethyst Metallic (introduced September 2016)
- Bronze Dune Metallic (extra charge except on Platinum; introduced January 2017)
The color-related changes are rounded out by the Deep Amethyst Metallic becoming available with the Cirrus interior and Dark Titanium accents, which was introduced in March 2017.
An welcome update for those living in climates with ice/snow is a new base trim level with all-wheel drive (trim 1SB / model 6NF26). By comparison, the 2017 Cadillac XT5 only offered the base trim with front-wheel-drive.
Inside, the 2018 Cadillac XT5 (curiously) does away with the driver-side thigh extension seat adjuster while adding the Rear Seat Reminder feature, which first debuted in the XT5’s platform mate — the 2017 GMC Acadia. In addition, the 2018 XT5 gains the automatic heated steering wheel, which automatically enables the heated steering wheel (along with the heated front seats) based on ambient air temperature.
The 2018 XT5 gets five new accessories:
- Assist steps (RPO code VYX ; introduced September, 2016)
- All-Weather Floor Mats (RPO code VAV, introduced November, 2016)
- Bright surround with Black Chrome mesh grille (RPO code RZ9; introduced December, 2016)
- Clear tail lamps (RPO code SCY; introduced January, 2017)
- Illuminated cargo sill plate (RPO code 5RU)
And finally, the RPO code for the Safety Alert Seat changes from UEU to HS1.
The updates and changes described here are specific to the U.S. market and may be different for other markets.
For the North American market, the 2018 Cadillac XT5 is assembled by GM U.S.A. at the GM Spring Hill plant in Spring Hill, Tennessee, USA. For the Chinese market, the 2018 Cadillac XT5 is assembled at a Shanghai GM plant in Shanghai, China.
More Information & Reporting
- 2018 Cadillac XT5 info
- 2018 Cadillac XT5 changes, updates, new features
- 2018 Cadillac XT5 order guide
- Cadillac XT5 sales numbers