General Motors and its joint ventures recorded 246,730 new vehicle deliveries in China in February 2017, a slight increase of 0.4 percent from February 2016.
Crossovers and MPVs remained a vital part for the automaker during the month, accounting for nearly 50 percent of GM China deliveries during February. Highlights include the Cadillac XT5, which kept up its momentum with double-digit growth for the twelfth consecutive month, and the Baojun 510 SUV, which exceeded 6,000 deliveries following its launch on February 20 and contributed to the Baojun brand’s record deliveries.
“The expanding SUV portfolio has helped us maintain our growth momentum,” said GM Executive Vice President and GM China President Matt Tsien. “The upcoming launch of the Chevrolet Equinox will further enhance our competitiveness in the fast-growing midsize SUV segment.”
GM will launch 18 new and refreshed models this year in China to support continued growth in the company’s largest retail market. Half of the models being introduced in 2017 under the Buick, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Baojun and Wuling brands will be SUVs or MPVs.
Shanghai GM Sales – February 2017
February 2017 sales at Shanghai GM — GM’s primary joint venture in China responsible for Chevrolet, Buick, and Cadillac vehicle sales — were as follows.
Chevrolet China Sales – February 2017
Shanghai GM did not disclose complete Chevrolet sales results for the month but did provide the following model sales highlights:
- Deliveries of the Malibu family more than tripled from previous February
- Sales of the all-new Cruze Hatchback reached showrooms during the month
- The 2018 Chevy Equinox will be added to the lineup in the first half of 2017
In addition, Chevrolet is on track to fulfill its plan to introduce more than 20 new or refreshed products in China by the end of 2020. Nearly 30 percent of the models will be SUVs and nearly half will be new nameplates for the China portfolio.
Cadillac China Sales – February 2017
Cadillac sales jumped 90 percent to 9,034 units, including the following model sales highlights:
- Cadillac XT5 sales surged 150 percent from a year ago
- Cadillac ATS-L sales rose 91 percent, making February the eighth consecutive month of double-digit growth for the model
- Cadillac XTS sales increased 27 percent
Cadillac expects sales in China to continue growing at a double-digit rate this year.
Buick China Sales – February 2017
Shanghai GM did not disclose Buick sales results for the month but did provide the following model sales highlights:
- Deliveries of the GL8 MPV family increased 80 percent year on year, led by the new-generation GL8 and GL8 Avenir luxury MPVs that were launched in November.
- The Envision was “the leader among global SUVs for the fourth consecutive month”, though GM did not specify what, exactly, that means
SAIC-GM-Wuling Sales – February 2017
Sales results at GM’s other Chinese joint venture — SAIC-GM-Wuling — were as follows:
Baojun China Sales – February 2017
Baojun sales grew 38 percent year-over-year, with:
- Sales of the Baojun 310 topping 10,000 units for the fifth consecutive month, enabling it to remain the segment leader
- The Baojun 730 MPV remaining the leader in its segment since its launch in 2014
- The Baojun 510 SUV exceeded 6,000 deliveries following its launch on February 20
Wuling China Sales – February 2017
Wuling deliveries increased 2.3 percent from February 2016, with:
- The Rong Guang family accounting for nearly 50,000 deliveries, setting a new February record and
- The Hong Guang family delivering over 44,000 units, remaining the segment leader
About The Numbers
Starting with April 2015 sales results, GM began reporting retail sales rather than wholesales in China. All numbers above represent retail sales.
Further Reading & Sales Reporting
- GM news
- Running GM sales results
- February 2017 GM sales results