1987 BMW 531iS With An LS1 Swap Is Up For Grabs0
BMW 5-series LS swaps are quite popular, and that’s exactly what we have here with this 1987 531iS, powered by a refreshed LS1 paired with a T56 6-speed manual transmission. The car was recently listed for sale through an auction, but has since been sold for $18,000.
Built by Jake Barkell of Classic Daily, this 531iS features a few goodies and seems well put together. Obviously there is plenty of performance to be had in a nimble car with 400 ponies and a weight of 3,000 pounds, but what’s really neat is that with this powerplant the car is quite fuel efficient. BringATrailer reports that it can get up to 30+ MPG.
With 226K miles on the body, it isn’t exactly perfect. That said, everything is intact, all electrical components function properly, and it even has ice-cold A/C. The car shows its age and usage on the front valence, plastic bumper surrounds, and slightly faded interior. Simply put, it could use a little TLC, but it does have a crack-less dash that was sourced during the rebuild.
Check out the list of modifications below:
- 228R cam, LS6 intake, 243 LS6 heads, LS7 lifters
- New pistons, rings, bearings andd all new seals
- Behr radiator, 2x 10″ puller fans
- New oil pump, water pump, thermostat, fuel pump and new hoses throughout
- New belts and pulleys
- New brake master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, oil pressure sensor
- New PCM, custom PCM flash, custom engine wiring harness
- New rear shock mounts
- Custom driveshaft
- Rebuilt rear subframe with 3.25 limited slip differential
- New Magnaflow catalytic converters, Spintech muffler, 25 Manifolds
- Bilstein Sport Shocks, H&R springs, ST Sway Bars
- Custom Motor Mounts
This may not be for those who are purists, but it’ll surely satisfy the winning bidder that sought after a unique cruiser.
- Sweepstakes Of The Month: Win a 2023 Corvette Z06 Convertible. Details here.