18,780 Units Of Chevy Spark, Sonic And Trax Recalled Over Radio Compliance Issue2
General Motors is recalling certain models of the Chevrolet Sonic, Spark and Trax over an issue that results in the vehicles being out of compliance with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard. A similar recall was announced in May 2016, affecting earlier model years of the three vehicles, all of which share GM’s Gamma 2 platform and are equipped with the optional Bring Your Own Media (BYOM) MyLink radio.
The defect: affected vehicles may fail to provide an audible warning chime when the driver waits 10 minutes or longer to open the door after turning off the ignition and leaving the key in the cylinder. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 114 “Theft Protection.”
The hazards: without audible indicators, the driver may leave the key in the ignition, increasing the risk of theft.
- 2015-2016 Chevrolet Sonic equipped with the optional Bring Your Own Media (BYOM) radio
- 2015-2016 Chevrolet Trax equipped with the optional Bring Your Own Media (BYOM) radio
- 2013-2015 Chevrolet Spark equipped with the optional Bring Your Own Media (BYOM) radio
Number of vehicles affected: 18,780 vehicles (United States figure).
The fix: GM will notify owners, and dealers will update the radio software, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule.
Owners should: customers looking to find out if their vehicle is included in this Chevrolet Spark, Sonic and Trax recall should visit recalls.gm.com. There, owners will be able to enter their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see any open recalls as well as customer satisfaction programs. If the vehicle is part of the recall, customers should take it to a Chevrolet dealer.
Owners can also contact Chevrolet customer service with questions by using the following information.
- Chevrolet Customer Service: 1-800-222-1020
- GM Recall Number: 45340
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
- NHTSA Recall Number: 16V422000
- Sweepstakes Of The Month: Win a 2023 Corvette Z06 Convertible. Details here.
BYOM huh? As long as it’s not a CD but a certain plug in device. To heck with you GM. I’ll shop elsewhere.
Paul — I don’t see how a lack of a CD players has anything to do with the recall above. And on top of that, the elimination of a CD player isn’t a GM-only thing… it’s a move taking place across the industry.