2017 Chevrolet Silverado HD Revealed, Gets The Hood Scoop Treatment9
Previously, GMC was given the green light to drop the first official photos of the 2017 GMC Sierra HD Denali, featuring a massive hood scoop. Surely, it’s hiding a major powertrain upgrade.
Now, Chevrolet has had its chance, too. Here are the first photos of the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado HD. We merely say “photos” because there aren’t really technical specs accompanying the reveal. All we know is the same, massive hood scoop has been tacked on to the hood to likely cool down a reworked Duramax diesel engine.
Chevrolet states the hood treatment involves a patented air intake system, which drives dry, cool air into the engine to keep things cool when things get heated. 60-percent of air routed to the engine now comes from the intake system.
The benefits of the new system are cut and dry: cooler air means the engine can operate at optimum power, especially when the engine and transmission are under load.
“The 2017 Silverado HD was engineered to provide maximum utility for our customers in even the most extreme situations,” said Eric Stanczak, chief engineer, Silverado HD. “While developing this all-new induction system, we considered our customers towing a maximum-weight trailer through the Eisenhower Tunnel on a hot, rainy summer day.”
The 2017 Silverado HD also ensures moist, wet air isn’t entering the system either. Part of the patented intake system includes a air/water separator, to ensure only combustion-enhancing dry air is drawn into the engine. The air charge enters an expansion chamber containing a sharp, 180-degree turn on its way to the air filter housing.
That creates a velocity change that causes humidity or mist to form larger, heavier droplets that are flung centrifugally against the outside wall of the housing. Science!
We wish we had additional information for you, dear reader, but Chevrolet is keeping their lips locked over what this fancy, new air intake system is cooling down. One thing is nearly certain, though: there’s more power in the 2017 Silverado HD’s future.
- Sweepstakes Of The Month: Win a 2023 Corvette Z06 Convertible. Details here.
Let’s see a scooped hood offered on the 1500s as part of a ‘HighSport’ package. Could run an intake nostril to the scoop and market it as a RamAir again.
Downvotes for linking to the press release? Stay classy GMA!
I do not see DEF tank hanging down. Could they have moved it to a better spot?
It’s no super duty
Powerstroke is the worst diesel offered in HD trucks. And a 2012 F250 is the worst vehicle I have ever driven, in contrast I don’t mind F150s. I own an LTZ Silverado for a reason, I believe it to be an all around better truck. But the F150 would be my second choice probably.
I owned a 2001 2500 duramax and suffered blow head gaskets, leaking fuel injectors, locked transmission in 4th gear, and a vibrating 2 piece drive shaft.
It was in the garage one time for 7 weeks.
Other than that, it was a great truck.
Paid $38,000 for it and sold it after two years for $24,000.
Chevrolet would have to compensate me first before I buy another.
Ford power baby
Form and function as the hood-scoop for the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado are functional as the cold air intake induction provides about 60 percent of all the air the 6.6-liter Duramax turbodiesel needs, with the other 40 percent coming from air ducts inside the fenders as this is a major change from the usage of a hood scoop of yesteryear where they were there just for looks.