GMC Announces Gooseneck/Fifth-Wheel Trailering Prep Package For 2016 Sierra HD1
The 2016 GMC Sierra HD is now being offered with a gooseneck/fifth-wheel trailering prep package right from the factory.
The $350 option features a frame-mounted hitch platform and tray that accommodates a gooseneck ball hitch or fifth-wheel hitch mounting brackets. The platform is concealed beneath the truck’s bed floor and, when the hitch isn’t needed, it can be removed for full use of the bed’s cargo capacity. GMC includes caps for the openings in the floor as well as a bed-mounted seven-way trailer wiring connection.
GMC is also introducing a new gooseneck completion kit. Available as a $315 accessory from GMC dealers, the kit features a 2-5/16-inch ball hitch and two chain tie-downs.
GMC dealers also offer fifth-wheel hitches from CURT Manufacturing that are compatible with the factory-installed hitch platform. They are available in 20,000-pound and 25,000-pound versions for $939 and $999, respectively (not including tax, installation and labor charges).
The 2016 Sierra HDs’ fifth-wheel trailering ratings are aligned with SAE J2807 standards and have the following maximum capacities:
- 2500HD trailering rating of 18,000 pounds (8,165 kg)
- 3500HD single-rear-wheel trailering rating of 17,500 pounds (7,938 kg)
- 3500HD dual-rear-wheel trailering rating of 23,200 pounds (10,523 kg)
The GM Authority Take
This is a very welcome addition to what is already a stellar pickup truck. We should note that the Chevrolet Silverado HD is also getting the same treatment.
- Gooseneck/5th wheel prep package — hitch platform to accept Gooseneck or Fifth wheel hitch, includes:
- Hitch platform with tray to accept ball and drilled box holes with caps installed
- Box mounted 7-pin trailer harness (similar to UY2 harness)
- GM free-flow RPO Code: Z6A
- Available on:
- All Sierra HD models, including the Sierra 2500HD, 3500HD and 3500HD CC
- All Sierra HD trim levels, including: Sierra HD (base), SLE, SLT and Denali
- Model T*25**3
- Trailering equipment (Z82)
- Spray-on bedliner (CGN)
- Trailering mirrors (DF2, DPN or DQS)
- Not available with:
- Trailering wiring provisions (UY2)
- 6.0L V8 SFI Gaseous engine (LC8)
- Pickup box delete (ZW9)
- Rear bumper delete (9J4)
- Rubber bed mat (VBR) LPO
- Bed liner (VZX) LPO
- Tailgate liner (VUK) LPO
- Interior Protection Package (PDH)
- Bed rug (VBN) LPO
- Any ship thru code
- Hitch Package — gooseneck ball and chain tie-down kit with case:
- GM free-flow RPO Code: SNO (LPO product)
- Requires Gooseneck / 5th Wheel Prep Package (Z6A)
- Not available with rubber bed mat (VBR) LPO or bed liner (VZX) LPO
- Sweepstakes Of The Month: Win a 2023 Corvette Z06 Convertible. Details here.
I was to the understanding that the 2018 chevrolet silverado Z71 25 HD had the hitch in it already! Ordered the appropriate ball and chain holders only to find the actual “hitch” is not installed? I have the ball and chain holders coming already and need to know what the oem hitch is and how much because obviously I am going to have to pay for this now? These things are why we bought a toyota last time! We have purchased at least 8 new trucks chevy and Gmc and it is always something!!