General Motors is recalling certain 2015-2016 model year Chevy Silverado HD and Tahoe PPV as well as the GMC Sierra HD over an issue with the brake pedal.
The problem: in affected vehicles, the brake pedal pivot nut may loosen, causing the brake pedal to be loose or inoperative.
The hazard: if the brake pedal becomes loose or inoperative, the driver may be unable to stop the vehicle by using the brake pedal. Additionally, a loose pedal may also interfere with the accelerator pedal. Either condition may increase the risk of a crash.
- 2015-2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 and 3500 heavy duty trucks manufactured October 1, 2013 to February 1, 2016
- 2015-2016 Chevrolet Tahoe Police Pursuit Vehicles (PPV) manufactured March 1, 2014 to February 1, 2016
- 2015-2016 GMC Sierra 2500 and 3500 heavy duty trucks manufactured October 29, 2013 to February 1, 2016
Number of vehicles affected: 426,593 (United States figure).
The fix: GM will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the brake pedal pivot nuts, adding thread adhesive and tightening the nut as necessary, free of charge.
Owners should: customers looking to find out if their vehicle is included in this GM recall should visit recalls.gm.com. There, owners will be able to enter their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see any open recalls as well as customer satisfaction programs. If the vehicle is part of the recall, customers should take it to a General Motors dealer.
Owners can also contact Chevrolet customer service with questions by using the following information.
- Chevrolet Customer Service: 1-800-222-1020
- GMC Customer Service: 1-800-462-8782
- GM Recall Number: 20760
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
- NHTSA Recall Number: 16V069000