General Motors Officially Announces $1 Billion, 2,600-Job Warren Technical Center Expansion1
Starting this month and continuing through 2018, General Motors will be renovating its engineering headquarters in Warren, Michigan, which will have an estimated tab of $1 billion while creating 2,600 salaried jobs. The jobs will feed company cornerstones such as design, engineering and IT.
The GM Warren Technical Center, which already employs 19,000 people, will see the following updates:
- The construction of a new design studio and a new parking structure for GM design employees
- Updating/rebuilding some existing R&D facilities
- Construction of a new IT building next to the current Michigan IT Innovation Center, along with a new IT employee parking structure
- Expansion of the Advanced Energy Center to accommodate more testing
- Extensive updates to the offices and work areas in most of the Warren Tech Center buildings, including the Vehicle Engineering Center. This will include things like new carpeting, office furniture, paint, as well as reconfiguration.
Last month, General Motors approached the City of Warren seeking tax abatement for the project, which was an early indicator that the massive expansion was imminent.
- Sweepstakes Of The Month: Win a 2023 Corvette Z06 Convertible. Details here.
I hope all of you are paying attention to this.
This is a big deal and a sign of how much GM is investing in their future. Not many companies are doing this right now. Those that are will reap the rewards later on.