Meet the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox. It still rides on the Theta platform and is the same compact(ish) crossover people know and love. And now, it’s even better thanks to a mild refresh that delivers new styling, premium exterior accents, new wheel designs, new available safety features, and a larger color touchscreen radio. Plus, the rear-vision camera is now standard on entry-level models.
To demonstrate just how important the compact crossover space is to Chevrolet, consider the fact that Equinox sales in the U.S. increased to 242,242units in 2014. That makes the Equinox the second best-selling Chevrolet model in North America after the Silverado. Impressive, wouldn’t you say?
“Chevrolet Equinox is a pillar of the compact SUV segment, thanks to a value rooted in great style, efficiency, safety and connectivity,” said Alan Batey, president, GM North America. “The enhancements to the 2016 Equinox make a versatile vehicle an even better choice, and demonstrate Chevrolet’s commitment to delivering the broadest lineup of SUVs in the industry.”
New and updated features available on the 2016 Equinox include:
- New trim lineup contains four levels — L, LS, LT and LTZ, thereby streamlining the lineup and eliminating the 1LT and 2LT trims
- New front fascia and chrome-accented dual-port grille design – including specific chrome trim on LT and LTZ grilles
- New, premium projector-beam headlamps on all models helps make the Equinox more visible at night
- New daytime running lamps on LT and LTZ, with reflector-style lamps on L and LS, and light-emitting diode, (LED) lamps on LT and LTZ that create a distinctive, upscale lighting signature
- New fog lamps on LTZ
- New, Chevy-signature dual-element taillamps, revised license plate applique and revised lower rear fascia on all models, with chrome trim on LTZ lower fascia
- New 17-inch aluminum wheels on LT and new 18-inch aluminum wheels on LTZ
- New available 17-inch wheel optional on LS model
- New chrome exhaust outlets on V6 models
- Available Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert safety features on LT and LTZ
- Standard seven-inch-diagonal Color Touch radio (including Bluetooth phone connectivity) and rear-vision camera on L and LS models
- Revised instrument panel “center stack” with new storage shelf and updated control graphics
- New, chrome-trimmed transmission shifter with Electronic Range Selector mode buttons relocated to the top of the shifter handle
- Enhanced interior fabrics in L and LS designed for a premium look and feel
- New Saddle Up interior color
- New universal tablet holders available through dealers from Chevrolet Accessories. They mount on the rear of the front seats to provide convenient access for rear-seat passengers
“The new face of the Equinox is highlighted by a more expressive execution of chrome accents and premium lighting,” said John Cafaro, executive director of design, global Chevrolet cars. “The result is a modern exterior that’s matched inside with premium features on all trim levels, complementing the Equinox’s enhanced technology and functionality.”
We expect that the 2016 Equinox will be on sale for literally one model year before the all-new 2017 Equinox, based on the E2XX vehicle architecture, is launched.