All The Details We Could Muster About President Obama’s Cadillac One Limousine1
Last week, we brought you an interesting detail about the chassis of the Cadillac One Presidential limousine. After scouring the web for more details about the top-secret Caddy, we’ve been able to gather more information about the vehicle. Here’s what we found:
- The vehicle has five-inch thick bulletproof glass everywhere except for the windshield and high-strength ceramic armor
- The passenger compartment, which has its own internal air supply and filters, can be sealed against biological and nuclear contamination
- The tires are capable of running flat at over 100 mph
- The limo does not contain any weapons. Instead, the firepower is in the “war wagons” – the black Chevy Suburbans that follow the limo to either side of the motorcade (pictured below)
- The floor is mine proof
- The battery and radiator are armored
- Those who have driven it have come away impressed by the vehicle’s nimble handling given its tremendous heft (somewhere around 7,000 lbs.)
- The One is stored in a secret service garage in downtown Washington D.C.. The facility is codenamed Headlight
- The vehicle stays with the President on both domestic and foreign trips. It’s usually transported in a McDonnell Douglas C-17 Globemaster (a large military transport aircraft)
- The driver has less protection than the President due to limitations of the windshield. A very thick windshield would distort objects in front of the limo, making it rather useless for driving purposes
- The George W. Bush-era Caddy One (the last generation Presidential limousine) could take a direct hit with an RPG and still protect the vehicle’s occupants. The new Kodiak/Topkick-based Caddy One can supposedly take an even harder hit
- If the car becomes disabled by an attack, the job of the agent that rides with the President (and other occupants) is to get the Head of State out of the danger area and into the back-up limo as fast as possible. Jack Bauer-like shootouts will have to wait until the President is out of danger
- The vehicle uses a gasoline GM truck engine, although exact details of the powerplant are scarce
- As you may have expected, it gets terrible gas mileage
- The interior contains the latest in mobile connectivity and convenience features, making it very convenient to work on-the-go
- According to GM, “The car was designed, developed and tested by specialists who adhered to an extensive set of specifications. It was subjected to an extreme testing regimen to ensure performance that achieves precise functional requirements. In doing so, security provisions were undertaken at all times during development to ensure the car’s functional capabilities are preserved and confidential.”
And there you have it – all the details we could find about President Barack Obama’s Cadillac One. If you know more information this breathtakingly-secure vehicle, please share them in the comments below.
- Sweepstakes Of The Month: Win a 2023 Corvette Z06 Convertible. Details here.
We are currently looking for experienced automotive journalists and editors to join our team. Make $60k-$80k per year doing what you love. We are also looking for an experienced web developer. See details here.
One awesome car / truck