GM 2.0 Liter I4 Turbo Diesel LUZ Engine
The 2.0-liter I4 Turbo Diesel LUZ is an engine produced by General Motors for use in diesel variants of its vehicles. Part of GM’s Family B engine range, the LUZ has been adapted for North American emissions standards. It is currently being used in a single vehicle in North America – the 2014 Chevrolet Cruze 2.0TD (Cruze Turbo Diesel).
The Chevrolet Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel achieves an EPA-rated 46 mpg on the highway — better than any non-hybrid or gasoline passenger car in America. The Cruze Diesel can also travel 717 miles on a single tank of fuel. It is the only diesel-powered passenger car offered by GM in the United States and Canada. The impressive performance is thanks to GM’s 2.0-liter turbo-diesel four-cylinder LUZ engine.
SAE-certified at 151 horsepower (113 kW) and 264 lb.-ft. of torque (358 Nm), the LUZ enables 0-60 mph performance of about 8.6 seconds in the Cruze. It also produces at least 250 lb.-ft. of torque (339 Nm) between 1,750 and 3,000 rpm and has an overboost feature capable of increasing torque to an estimated 280 lb.-ft. (380 Nm), for short bursts of stronger acceleration.
The Cruze Diesel’s unique 2.0L turbo-diesel engine is based on a proven design already used in markets around the globe. It is the cleanest diesel engine produced by General Motors and meets tough North American diesel emission standards, generating 90 percent less Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) and particulate emissions compared to previous-generation diesels.
- Cylinder Block and Head: the cylinder block is made of strong gray cast iron, with five main bearings. To minimize weight, it features an aluminum cylinder block, which helps the 2.0L turbo-diesel weigh in at only 408 pounds (185 kg). The cylinder head incorporates dual overhead camshafts with four valves per cylinder and maintenance-free hydraulic lifters with low-friction roller-finger followers. Quiet belt-driven cams/valvetrain with high-strength belt material and tensioner rated for 100,000 miles.
- Rotating Assembly: a forged steel crankshaft anchors the engine’s rotating assembly, delivering exceptional durability over a long engine life. It is used with steel connecting rods, floating piston pin bearings, and high-strength aluminum pistons. The piston also feature a reinforced top ring and integral combustion bowl design that’s an integral component of the combustion system. Piston oil jets that help reduce friction and optimize piston temperature for greater performance and efficiency. The jets, mounted at the bottom of each cylinder, are part of the engine’s oiling circuit and spray engine oil at the bottom of the pistons.
- Central Direct Injection and Common Rail Fuel System: the 2.0L turbo-diesel uses a central direct fuel injection system, with the injectors positioned in the middle of each cylinder and the bowl in the pistons serving as the combustion chambers. This enables a high 16.5:1 compression ratio that enhances power and combustion efficiency. A common-rail fuel system with Piezo fuel injectors creates multiple injections per combustion for greater performance, combustion efficiency and quietness. Piezo injectors allow a more precise metering of fuel for a smoother idle and lower combustion noise. Ceramic glow plugs are employed with the combustion system. They provide greater cold-start performance over conventional metal glow plugs (an engine oil heater is offered for cold climates).
- Intercooled Turbocharging System: a variable-nozzle turbocharger broadens the 2.0L turbo-diesel’s overall torque curve. It is mounted close to the exhaust outlet of the engine for quicker “spool up” of the turbine and faster “light off” of the exhaust catalyst. The turbocharger bearings are oil-lubricated and cooled via an oil cooler. An intercooling system produces a cooler, denser air charge for greater torque and power.
- Variable-Swirl Intake Manifold: a variable-swirl intake manifold design optimizes air charge mixture motion in the cylinders for a more-efficient combustion that enhances performance and reduces emissions.
- Variable-Displacement Oiling System: the variable-flow oiling system helps maximize fuel efficiency with a crankshaft-driven oil pump that matches the oil supply to the engine load. The engine’s variable-flow pump changes its capacity based on demand for oil rather than using energy to pump oil that is not required.
- Exhaust Gas Recirculation: a precise exhaust gas recirculation control system features a high-capacity cooler and bypass feature that enable the engine to meet United States and Canada’s tough diesel emissions regulations. The exhaust after-treatment system is similar to what is used on Chevrolet’s heavy-duty trucks and vans equipped with the Duramax diesel, including a diesel particulate filter and diesel emission fluid injection. An approximately 4.5-gallon (17 liters) tank holds enough diesel emissions fluid for an estimated 8,000 miles (13,000 km) of driving between refills. The system is also designed for servicing to coincide with oil changes, for greater convenience.
- B20 Biodiesel Capability: the 2.0L turbo-diesel is capable of running on B20 biodiesel, a fuel composed of 20 percent biodiesel and 80 percent conventional diesel. B20 helps lower carbon dioxide emissions and lessens dependence on petroleum. It is a domestically produced, renewable fuel made primarily of plant matter – mostly soybean oil.
|Type:||Fam. B 2.0L Turbo Diesel engine|
|Combustion System:||Compression Ignition|
|Induction System:||Variable Geometry Turbocharger|
|Displacement:||1956 cc (119 ci)|
|Valve configuration:||Dual overhead camshafts|
|Valves per cylinder:||4|
|Assembly site:||Kaiserslautern, Germany|
|Bore x Stroke:||83.00 x 90.40mm|
|Maximum Engine Speed:||5000 rpm|
|Fuel system:||Direct Injection|
|Fuel type:||B20 Bio Diesel|
|Engine Mass (kg/lbs):||182 kg (401 lb)|
|Diesel Particulate Filter|
|Cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve|
|Positive Crankcase Ventilation|
|Tier 2/LEV II BIN 5|
|Horsepower hp (kw)|
|Chervolet Cruze:||151hp (113kW) @ 4000 rpm SAE Certified|
|Torque lb-ft. (Nm)|
|Chervolet Cruze:||250 lb-ft (339Nm) @ 1750 – 3000 rpm SAE Certified|
|Exhaust manifold:||Nodular Iron|
|Connecting rods:||Forged Steel|
|Aluminium cam carrier|
|Poly-V belt accessory drive|
|Turbocharger with variable geometry nozzle|
|Oil pan with integrated oil suction pipe|
|Forged connecting rods|
|Ceramic glow plugs|
|EGR cooling system with by-pass throttle|
|Piston with pinoffset|
|Close loop control on electronic throttle valve|
|New Bosch ECU Generation E47B|
|Oil cooler module with oil green filter|
|Airmass flow meter sensor with air temperature sensor integrated|
|Chevrolet Cruze||MDK-FWD-AF40-6 (Gen 2) FWD|