GM 3.0 Liter V6 LFW Engine
The 3.0 liter LFW V6 engine is produced by General Motors for use in a wide variety of large to midsize vehicles. It is part of GM’s High Feature V6 engine family. The engine will be discontinued in the North American market when the all-new third-generation Cadillac CTS replaces the current model in 2014.
Engine highlights include:
- Aluminum Engine Block And Cylinder Heads: engine block and cylinder heads are cast from A319 aluminum alloy. This aluminum-intensive construction means less weight and greater efficiency than conventional cast-iron engines; less weight translates to improved vehicle fuel economy.
- Direct Injection: direct injection moves the point where fuel feeds into an engine closer to the point where it ignites, enabling greater combustion efficiency. It fosters a more complete burn of the fuel in the air-fuel mixture, and it operates at lower temperature than conventional port injection.
- Dual Overhead Cams with Four Valves per Cylinder and Silent Cam Drive: four-valves-per-cylinder with inverted-tooth chain cam drive contributes to the smoothness and high output of the 3.0L V6 LFW. Overhead cams are the most direct, efficient means of operating the valves, while four valves per cylinder increase airflow in and out of the engine.
- Variable Valve Timing: Variable Valve Timing (VVT), or cam phasing, helps the 3.0L V6 LFW deliver optimal performance, efficiency and emissions. It allows linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (horsepower per liter of displacement) without sacrificing overall engine response, or driveability.
- Composite Intake Manifold: the upper intake manifold for the 3.0L V6 LFW is made from composite material and provides mass savings over an aluminum manifold, with a carefully-designed structure that helps ensure quiet engine operation.
- Fully Isolated Composite Camshaft Covers: the cam covers are made of thermoset, glass-filled polyester composite, a material that weighs less than the cast aluminum used on most premium engines and more effectively dampens noise.
- Integrated Exhaust Manifold: the 3.0L V6 LFW engine features integrated exhaust manifolds with the cylinder heads, eliminating the need for separate exhaust manifolds. The benefits include reducing the mass of the engine for improved fuel economy and faster catalytic converter light off, resulting in reduced emissions.
|Displacement:||2997 cc (183 ci)|
|Engine Orientation:||Longitudinal and Transverse|
|Valve configuration:||Dual overhead camshafts|
|Valves per cylinder:||4|
|Assembly site/s:||Ramos Arizpe, Mexico; Port Melbourne, Australia; St. Catharines, Ontario|
|Valve lifters:||Roller follower with hydraulic lash adjusters|
|Bore x stroke:||89.0 x 80.3 mm|
|Bore Center (mm):||103|
|Bore Area (cm2) (total engine bore area):||373.27|
|Fuel Type:||Regular Unleaded, E85 capable|
|E85 Applications:||Captiva in 2013 MY|
|Applications||Horsepower hp (kw)|
|Cadillac CTS (dual exhaust):||270 hp (201 kW) @ 7000 rpm SAE CERTIFIED|
|Cadillac CTS (single exhaust):||265 hp (198 kW) @ 7000 rpm SAE CERTIFIED|
|Cadillac CTS Wagon:||270 hp (201 kW) @ 7000 rpm SAE CERTIFIED|
|Chevrolet Captiva:||265 hp (198 kW) @ 6950 rpm SAE CERTIFIED|
|Applications||Torque lb.-ft. (Nm)|
|Cadillac CTS (dual exhaust):||223 lb.-ft (302 Nm) @ 5700 rpm SAE CERTIFIED|
|Cadillac CTS (single exhaust):||220 lb.-ft (298 Nm) @ 5700 rpm SAE CERTIFIED|
|Cadillac CTS Wagon:||223 lb.-ft (302 Nm) @ 5700 rpm SAE CERTIFIED|
|Chevrolet Captiva:||223 lb.-ft (302 Nm) @ 5100 rpm SAE CERTIFIED|
|Maximum Engine Speed:||7200 rpm|
|Engine Mass (kg/lbs) engine plant as shipped weight:||154 / 339 (estimate)|
|172 / 380 (estimate) automatic CTS|
|194 / 428 (estimate) manual CTS|
|Emissions controls:||Evaporative system|
|Internal exhaust gas recirculation (EGR)|
|Dual close coupled catalytic converters plus underfloor converter|
|Positive crankcase ventilation|
|Block:||Sand cast aluminum (319) with cast in iron bore liners|
|Cylinder head:||Cast aluminum (319 semi permanent mold)|
|Intake manifold:||Aluminum (319 Lower), Composite (Upper)|
|Main bearing caps:||Sintered steel (CU infiltrated)|
|Crankshaft:||Forged steel (1038 V)|
|Connecting rods:||Sinter forged steel|
|Additional features:||Four-cam continuously variable cam phasing|
|Pressure-actuated piston cooling jets|
|Torque-based engine management system|
|Secondary throat cut inlet ports|
|Direct injection fuel system|
|E85 capability in the Equinox, Terrain|
|High-pressure, engine-driven fuel pump with stainless steel fuel rails|
|Electronic Throttle Control w/ integrated Cruise Control|
|Structural front cover with damper plates removed|
|Iridium center electrode / platinum side wire tip spark plugs|
|Extended life coolant|
|Extended life EPDM accessory drive belt|
|7.7mm IT chain system for all HFV6 applications|
|Structural cast-aluminum oil pan with steel baffles|
|GM Oil Life System|
|5W30 Dexos 1|