General Motors CornerStep Bumper
CornerStep Bumper is a General Motors convenience technology that provides easier access to the box of a pickup truck.
How It Works
The CornerStep bumper is comprised of two features:
- An integrated steps at each corner of the rear bumper with textured pads for sure-footed grip, and
- Ergonomically-shaped handholds built into the box rail protectors
When needed, a person simply steps on to the step in the bumper while grabbing on to the handhold located in the box rail.
The first generation of the CornerStep bumper was introduced on the first-generation Chevrolet Avalanche, which ran from the 2001 thru the 2006 model years. The second-generation Avalanche discontinued the CornerStep feature, but continued to feature the cutout step in the center of the rear bumper, aft of the rear license plate.
The second generation CornerStep bumper was introduced on the 2014 Silverado 1500 and 2014 Sierra 1500. It was then added to the 2015 Chevrolet Silverado HD, 2015 GMC Sierra HD, 2015 Chevrolet Colorado and 2015 GMC Canyon.
The third generation CornerStep bumper was introduced on the 2019 Silverado 1500 and 2019 Sierra 1500. It features larger and deeper bumper cutouts to better accommodate large shoes, such as those with steel toes. The second-gen rear bumper then made its debut on the 2020 Silverado HD and 2020 Sierra HD.
The CornerStep Bumper was originally introduced on the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and 2014 GMC Sierra 1500. It has since propagated to the Silverado HD and Sierra HD, as well as the second-generation Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon.
- 2001-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche
- 2014-2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (K2 platform)
- 2014-2019 GMC Sierra 1500 (K2 platform)
- 2015-2019 Chevrolet Silverado HD (2500HD, 3500HD)
- 2015-2019 GMC Sierra HD (2500HD, 3500HD)
- 2015-2022 Chevrolet Colorado
- 2015-2022 GMC Canyon
- 2019-present Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (T1 platform)
- 2019-present GMC Sierra 1500 (T1 platform)
- 2020-present Chevrolet Silverado HD (2500HD, 3500HD)
- 2020-present GMC Sierra HD (2500HD, 3500HD)