Future GMC Canyon
We expect the next, third-generation GMC Canyon to launch on or after the 2022 model year. Until then, we expect the current, second-generation Canyon to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements.
Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the next GMC Canyon. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from General Motors and GMC.
If you notice any inaccuracies about the information provided, or have edits to suggest, please let us know here.
|Last redesigned model year:||2015 (second generation)|
|Last midcycle refresh/MCE model year:||none currently, expected for 2019 or 2020|
|Expected redesign model year:||2022 (third generation)|
|Expected name:||GMC Canyon|
|Current platform:||GMT 31XX platform|
|Future platform:||GM VSS-T platform|
|Layout:||FR (front-engined, rear-wheel-drive or four-wheel-drive)|
|Current body styles:||light duty pickup truck|
|Future body styles:||light duty pickup truck|
|Segment:||midsize pickup truck|
|Gasoline:||turbo-charged I-4, naturally-aspirated V-6|
|Alternative propulsion:||possible gasoline hybrid electric|
|Expected transmissions:||8-speed automatic or 10-speed automatic|
- What: an all-new GMC Canyon midsize pickup truck that will represent the third generation of the nameplate, after the second-gen Canyon was introduced for the 2015 model year
- When: we expect the next GMC Canyon to launch in the 2021 calendar year as a 2022 model year vehicle
- Why: an all-new Canyon will maintain GMC’s growing presence in the midsize pickup truck segment
- Where: sold in all current markets where the Canyon is currently sold, specifically in North America (Canada, United States and Mexico)
Following are our expectations about the future GMC Canyon:
- Based on the new GM VSS-T platform, delivering all-new underpinnings and engineering
- All-new exterior design, available in various cabs and bed configurations
- All-new interior design
- Improved interior comfort and convenience, as well as a greater variety of features
- Inclusion of next-generation infotainment system
- Introduction of more GM Active Safety features and technologies
- Introduction of new powertrain range
We expect the upcoming future GMC Canyon to be available as a midsize pickup truck with the following cab and bed configurations:
- Extended Cab, Long Box
- Crew Cab, Short Box
- Crew Cab, Long Box
We expect the next GMC Canyon to carry similar pricing as the current, second-gen model and have a U.S. starting price in the $20,000 range.
We expect the next-gen GMC Canoyn to ride on the new GM VSS-T platform (vehicle set strategy) shared with all future GM pickup trucks and SUVs.
We expect the powertrain of the next GMC Canyon to include a mix of current and carry-over components:
Expected carry-over powertrain components:
Expected all-new powertrain components:
- New, yet to-be-discovered base engine
- GM 10-speed automatic transmission
The future GMC will have various competitors in the mainstream midsize pickup truck vehicle segment, including:
- Toyota Tacoma
- Nissan Frontier
- GM’s own Chevrolet Colorado
Before The All-New Model
Before the all-new future GMC Canyon reaches the market, we expect the current second-generation Canyon to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements, along with a potential mid-cycle enhancement or facelift. See information about the current-generation Canyon by using the following links:
- 2015 GMC Canyon (introduction of second-gen model)
- 2016 GMC Canyon
- 2017 GMC Canyon
- 2018 GMC Canyon
- 2019 GMC Canyon (potential midcycle refresh)
- 2020 GMC Canyon
Discuss the next GMC Canyon in our GMC forum.
Follow our coverage of GMC Canyon news.