Future Chevrolet Spark
We expect the next, second-generation Chevrolet Spark to reach the market for the 2022-2023 model years. Until then, we expect the current, second-generation Spark to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements.
Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the next Chevrolet Spark. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from General Motors and Chevrolet.
If you notice any inaccuracies about the information provided, or have edits to suggest, please let us know here.
|Last redesigned model year:||2016 (second generation)|
|Last midycle refresh/MCE model year:||not yet performed, expected for 2020|
|Expected redesign model year:||2023 (third generation)|
|Expected name:||Chevrolet Spark (North America), Chevrolet Beat (India)|
|Current platform:||GM Gamma 2 platform|
|Future platform:||GM G2 platform|
|Layout:||FF (front-engined, front-wheel-drive)|
|Current body styles:||four-door hatchback city car|
|Future body styles:||four-door hatchback city car|
|Expected gasoline engines:||naturally-aspirated I-3 or turbo I-3|
|Expected transmissions:||continuously variable transmission (CVT)|
- What: an all-new Chevrolet Spark A-segment hatchback that will represent the third generation of the nameplate, after the second-gen Spark was introduced for the 2016 model year
- When: we expect the next Spark to launch in the 2022 calendar year as a 2022-2023 model year vehicle; the vehicle is likely not a priority to be redesigned by GM, since next-generation crossover utility vehicles (CUVs) are currently the focus
- Why: an all-new Spark will enable Chevrolet to continue building its presence in the A-segment car space
- Where: sold in all current markets where the Spark is currently sold, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, select markets in Central and South America, as well as the Middle East
Following are our expectations about the future Chevrolet Spark:
- Based on the new GM G2 platform, delivering all-new underpinnings and engineering
- Lighter than the first-generation model, by as much 150 pounds (70 kilograms) thanks to GM’s efforts to decrease the weight of its entire fleet
- All-new exterior design, available as a four-door hatchback
- All-new interior design
- Inclusion of next-generation MyLink infotainment system
- Introduction of some GM Active Safety features and technologies
- Introduction of all-new powertrain range
We expect the upcoming future Chevy Spark to continue being available as an A-segment four-door hatchback.
We expect the next Chevy Spark to carry similar pricing as the current, first-gen model, and have a starting price in the vicinity of $13,000.
We expect the next-gen Chevy Spark to ride on GM’s G2 platform shared with future GM subcompact cars and crossovers, including:
- Next Chevrolet Sonic
- Next Chevrolet Trax/Tracker
- Next Buick Encore
- Next Opel Corsa (could switch to Peugeot-Citroen architecture after GM’s sale of Opel division to PSA Groupe)
We expect the next Chevy Spark to feature the following powertrain lineup:
- Gasoline engines:
- Naturally-aspirated I-3 / inline three-cylinder engine
- Turbocharged I-3 / inline three-cylinder engine
- Continuously variable transmission (CVT)
It is currently unclear where GM will produce the next-generation Spark.
The future Chevrolet Spark will have the following competitors:
- Ford Ka/Figo
- Nissan March/March Active
- Nissan Versa Note
- Kia Picanto
- Hyundai Eon
- Volkswagen Up!
- Fiat 500
Before The All-New Model
Before the all-new future Chevy Spark reaches the market, we expect the current second-generation Spark to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements. See information about the current-generation Spark by using the following links:
- 2011 Chevrolet Spark (introduction of first-gen model)
- 2012 Chevrolet Spark
- 2013 Chevrolet Spark
- 2014 Chevrolet Spark
- 2015 Chevrolet Spark
- 2016 Chevrolet Spark (introduction of second-gen model)
- 2017 Chevrolet Spark
- 2018 Chevrolet Spark
- 2019 Chevrolet Spark
Discuss the next Chevy Spark in our Chevrolet forum.
Follow our coverage of Chevrolet Spark news.