Future Cadillac XT5
We expect the next-generation Cadillac XT5 to reach the market in the vicinity of the 2023 model year. Until then, we expect the current, first-generation XT5 to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements.
Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the future Cadillac XT5. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from General Motors and Cadillac.
If you notice any inaccuracies about the information provided, or have edits to suggest, please let us know here.
|Last redesigned model year:||2016 (first generation)|
|Expected refresh model year:||2020|
|Expected redesign model year:||2023 (second generation)|
|Expected name:||Cadillac XT5|
|Current platform:||C1 platform (Chi)|
|Future platform:||VSS-F or VSS-R|
|Layout:||FF (front-engined, front-wheel-drive/all-wheel-drive) or FR (front-engined, rear-wheel-drive/all-wheel-drive)|
|Current body styles:||four-door crossover|
|Future body styles:||four-door crossover|
|Segment:||midsize crossover (D/E-segment)|
|Expected gasoline engines:||turbo I-4, naturally aspirated V-6, possible turbo-charged V-6|
|Expected diesel engines:||four-cylinder turbo-diesel possible|
|Expected transmissions:||9-speed automatic|
|Expected alternative fuel powertrains:||plug-in gas-electric hybrid or all-electric EV possible|
- What: an all-new midsize-luxury crossover representing the second generation of the XT5 nameplate
- When: a launch in calendar year 2022-2023 as a 2023-2024 model year vehicle
- Why: an all-new XT5 will strengthen Cadillac’s position in the midsize luxury crossover segment, which is the largest segment for luxury crossovers
- Where: sold in all current markets where Cadillac has a business presence, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, China, South Korea, the Middle East, Russia, and Europe. The next XT5 could be sold in more countries if the Cadillac brand enters new markets.
Following are our expectations of the future Cadillac XT5:
- Based either on the GM VSS-F platform or the GM VSS-R platform, depending on how the vehicle is positioned in the marketplace
- Adopt Cadillac’s new design language similar to the Cadillac Escala concept
- Introduce a much-improved interior, with increased levels of refinement, luxury, and convenience
- Include the GM Super Cruise autonomous driving technology
- Introduce a plug-in hybrid/PHEV variant like the CT6 Plug-In Hybrid or a pure battery electric model
We expect the upcoming future Cadillac XT5 to continue being available as a midsize luxury crossover with four doors.
We expect the starting price of the next Cadillac XT5 to be in the low $40,000 range, a slight increase compared to the first-generation model.
- If the next Cadillac XT5 continues to be a front-drive midsize luxury crossover rivaling the Lexus RX, Acura MDX, and Lincoln MKX (like the first-generation model), then we expect it to ride on the GM VSS-F platform/vehicle set.
- If Cadillac changes direction and makes the next-gen XT5 a rear-drive midsize luxury crossover to compete with the BMW X5, Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class, Maserati Lavante and Jaguar F-Pace, then we expect it to ride on the GM VSS-R platform/vehicle set.
We expect the next Cadillac XT5 to feature the following engine choices:
- New turbo 2.0L I-4 engine with automatic engine stop/start functionality to replace the GM 2.0L Turbo LTG (gasoline)
- 3.6L V-6 LGX with automatic engine stop/start functionality as a step up from the new 2.0L Turbo (gasoline)
- Possibly a twin-Turbo 3.0L V-6 LGW (gasoline) in XT5 V-Sport
- New turbo-diesel engine for select markets (diesel)
- Possibly an electric plug-in hybrid/PHEV (gasoline/electric)
- Possibly a pure battery-electric variant
We expect that the next XT5 to be offered with the new GM 9-speed automatic transmission. The plug-in hybrid and electric models will have their own powertrain.
We expect the future Cadillac XT5 to continue being assembled by GM USA at the GM Spring Hill factory in Tennessee for North American markets. The Chinese-market model will be built at a GM China factory.
The future Cadillac XT5 will have various competitors, depending on how Cadillac decides to position the model.
Positioned as front-drive midsize luxury CUV:
- Lexus RX
- Acura MDX
- Lincoln MKX
Positioned as rear-drive midsize luxury CUV:
- BMW X5
- Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class
- Maserati Levante
- Jaguar F-Pace
Before The All-New Model
Before the all-new future XT5 reaches the market, we expect the current first-generation Cadillac XT5 to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements. See information about the current XT5 by using the following links:
- 2017 Cadillac XT5 (introduction of first-generation model)
- 2018 Cadillac XT5
- 2019 Cadillac XT5
- 2020 Cadillac XT5 (expected midcycle refresh)
- 2021 Cadillac XT5
- 2022 Cadillac XT5
Discuss the next-generation Cadillac XT5 in our Cadillac forum.
Follow our coverage of Cadillac XT5 news.