Future Cadillac XT4
The Cadillac XT4 is an upcoming crossover utility vehicle (CUV) that will reach the market in the 2018 calendar year as a 2019 model year vehicle. It will represent Cadillac’s second crossover after the XT5, which replaced the SRX.
Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the future Cadillac XT4. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from General Motors and Cadillac.
If you notice any inaccuracies about the information provided, or have edits to suggest, please let us know here.
|Expected introduction model year:||2019 (first generation)|
|Last redesigned model year:||2019|
|Expected refresh model year:||2022|
|Expected redesign model year:||2025 (second generation)|
|Expected name:||Cadillac XT4|
|Current platform:||E2 platform|
|Future platform:||VSS-F or VSS-R|
|Layout:||FF (front-engined, front-wheel-drive/all-wheel-drive – first generation) or FR (front-engined, rear-wheel-drive/all-wheel-drive – second generation)|
|Current body styles:||four-door crossover|
|Future body styles:||four-door crossover|
|Segment:||compact crossover (C segment)|
|Expected gasoline engines:||turbo I-4, naturally aspirated V-6|
|Expected diesel engines:||four-cylinder turbo-diesel possible|
|Expected transmissions:||9-speed automatic|
|Expected alternative fuel powertrains:||plug-in gas-electric hybrid|
- What: an all-new compact-luxury crossover representing the first generation of the XT4 nameplate
- When: a launch in calendar year 2018 as a 2019 model year vehicle
- Why: an all-new XT4 will equip Cadillac with a competitor in the compact luxury crossover segment, which is the largest segment for luxury crossovers
- Where: sold in all current markets where Cadillac has a business presence, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, China, South Korea, the Middle East, Russia, and Europe. The next XT4 could be also sold in more countries if the Cadillac brand enters new markets.
Following are our expectations of the future Cadillac XT4:
- Based on a shorter variant of the GM E2 platform
- Feature Cadillac’s new design language similar to the Cadillac Escala concept
- Introduce a next-generation interior, with increased levels of refinement, luxury, and convenience
- Include the GM Super Cruise autonomous driving technology
- Introduce a plug-in hybrid/PHEV variant like the CT6 Plug-In Hybrid or a pure battery electric model
We expect the upcoming future Cadillac XT4 to be available as a compact luxury crossover with four doors and a lift hatch.
We expect the starting price of the Cadillac XT4 to be in the low $35,000 range, slotting underneath the Cadillac XT5.
The Cadillac XT4 will ride on the GM E2 platform shared with the following vehicles:
- Chevrolet Malibu (2016 and newer)
- Buick Regal (2018 and newer)
- Opel Insignia (2017 and newer)
- Vauxhall Insignia (2017 and newer)
As such, the vehicle will have a transverse powertrain configuration.
We expect the next Cadillac XT4 to feature the following engine choices:
- Turbo 2.0L I-4 engine with automatic engine stop/start functionality
- 3.6L V-6 LGX with automatic engine stop/start functionality as a step up from the 2.0L Turbo
- New turbo-diesel engine for select markets (diesel)
- Electric plug-in hybrid/PHEV (gasoline/electric)
We expect that the Cadillac XT4 will be offered with the new GM 9-speed automatic transmission. The plug-in hybrid model will have its own powertrain.
We expect the future Cadillac XT4 to be assembled by GM USA at the GM Fairfax City factory in Kansas.
The future Cadillac XT4 will have the following competitors in the front-drive-based luxury crossover space:
- Lexus NX
- Acura RDX
- Lincoln MKC
- Volvo XC60
- Audi Q5
- Jaguar E-Pace
- Land Rover Discovery
- Land Rover Evoque
- GM’s own Buick Envision
Other, less direct competitors include:
- BMW X3
- Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class
- Porsche Macan
- Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Discuss the next-generation Cadillac XT4 in our Cadillac forum.
Follow our coverage of Cadillac XT4 news.