Future Buick Verano
We expect the next, third-generation Buick Verano to launch on or after the 2022 model year. Until then, we expect the current, second-generation Verano to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements for the Chinese market, while continuing to be unavailable in North American markets. It is unclear whether the next Verano will be offered in North America.
Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the next Buick Verano. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from General Motors and Buick.
If you notice any inaccuracies about the information provided, or have edits to suggest, please let us know here.
|Last redesigned model year:||2016 (second generation)|
|Last midcycle refresh/MCE model year:||none currently|
|Expected redesign model year:||2022/2023 (third generation)|
|Expected name:||Buick Verano|
|Current platform:||GM D2 platform|
|Future platform:||GM VSS-F platform|
|Layout:||FF (front-engined, front-wheel-drive)|
|Current body styles:||compact four-door sedan, compact four-door hatchback|
|Future body styles:||compact four-door sedan, compact four-door hatchback|
|Expected gasoline engines:||naturally-aspirated I-4, turbo-charged I-4|
|Expected transmissions:||6-speed automatic or 9-speed automatic|
- What: an all-new Buick Verano compact sedan and hatchbak that will represent the third generation of the nameplate, after the second-gen Verano was introduced in China in 2016
- When: we expect the next Buick Verano to launch in the 2021-2022 calendar year timeframe as a 2022-2023 model year vehicle
- Why: an all-new Verano is highly important for Buick in China, where the model and the brand remain highly popular
- Where: sold exclusively in China
Following are our expectations about the future Buick Verano:
- Based on the new GM VSS-F platform, delivering all-new underpinnings and engineering
- All-new exterior design, available in four-door sedan and hatchback
- All-new interior design
- Improved interior comfort and convenience
- Potential high-performance Verano GS model
- Inclusion of next-generation IntelliLink infotainment system
- Introduction of more GM Active Safety features and technologies
- Introduction of all-new powertrain range
We expect the upcoming future Buick Verano to continue being available as a compact four-door sedan and hatchback.
We expect the next Buick Verano to carry similar pricing as the current, second-gen model:
- Starting price of the next Verano sedan will be in the vicinity of 135,000 Chinese Yuan
- Starting price of the next Verano hatch will be in the vicinity of 145,000 Chinese Yuan
We expect the next-gen Buick Verano to ride on GM’s VSS-F platform (vehicle set strategy) shared with all future front-drive GM cars and crossovers.
We expect the next Buick Verano to feature an all-new powertrain, including an all-new engine and transmission set.
The next Buick Verano will continued being assembled at a GM China factory for the Chinese market.
The future Buick Verano will have various competitors in the Chinese premium compact sedan and hatchback segment.
Before The All-New Model
Before the all-new future Buick Verano reaches the market, we expect the current second-generation Verano to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements. See information about the current-generation Verano by using the following links:
- 2012 Buick Verano (introduction of first-gen model in North America and China)
- 2013 Buick Verano
- 2014 Buick Verano
- 2015 Buick Verano
- 2016 Buick Verano (introduction of second-generation model in China)
- 2017 Buick Verano
- 2018 Buick Verano
- 2019 Buick Verano
Discuss the next Buick Verano in our Buick forum.
Follow our coverage of Buick Verano news.