Future Buick Regal
We expect the next, seventh-generation Buick Regal to launch on or after the 2023 model year. Until then, we expect the current, sixth-generation Regal to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements.
Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the next Buick Regal. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from General Motors and Buick.
If you notice any inaccuracies about the information provided, or have edits to suggest, please let us know here.
|Last redesigned model year:||2018 (sixth generation)|
|Last midcycle refresh/MCE model year:||none currently|
|Expected redesign model year:||2023-2024 (seventh generation)|
|Expected name:||Buick Regal|
|Current platform:||GM E2 platform|
|Future platform:||GM VSS-F platform|
|Layout:||FF (front-engined, front-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive)|
|Current body styles:||midsize four-door sedan, midsize four-door wagon|
|Future body styles:||midsize four-door sedan, midsize four-door wagon possible|
|Expected gasoline engines:||turbo-charged I-4, possible hybrid electric|
|Expected transmissions:||9-speed automatic|
- What: an all-new Buick Regal midsize sedan and possibly a midsize wagon that will represent the seventh generation of the nameplate, after the sixth-gen Regal was introduced for the 2018 model year
- When: we expect the next Buick Regal to launch in the 2023-2024 calendar year timeframe as a 2024 model year vehicle
- Why: an all-new Regal will maintain Buick’s presence in the premium midsize segment while continuing the transformation of the brand’s image
- Where: sold in all current markets where Buick currently has a business presence, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and China
Following are our expectations about the future Buick Regal:
- Based on the new GM VSS-F platform, delivering all-new underpinnings and engineering
- All-new exterior design, available in four-door sedan body style; a follow-up to the Regal TourX Wagon is possible
- All-new interior design
- Improved interior comfort and convenience
- Inclusion of next-generation IntelliLink infotainment system
- Introduction of more GM Active Safety features and technologies
- Introduction of all-new powertrain range
We expect the upcoming future Buick Regal to continue being available as a midsize four-door sedan or a sedan-like liftback body style like the sixth-gen Regal Sportback. A ruggedized wagon version along the lines of the Buick Regal TourX is possible.
We expect the next Buick Regal to carry similar pricing as the current, sixth-gen model.
We expect the next-gen Buick Regal to ride on the new GM VSS-F platform (vehicle set strategy) shared with all future front-drive GM cars and crossovers.
We expect the next Buick Regal to feature an all-new powertrain, including an all-new engine and transmission set.
The future Buick Regal will have various competitors in the premium midsize sedan and/or wagon segment, including:
- Acura TLX
- Volvo S60
- Volkswagen Arteon
Before The All-New Model
Before the all-new future Buick Regal reaches the market, we expect the current sixth-generation Regal to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements, along with a potential mid-cycle enhancement or facelift. See information about the current-generation Regal by using the following links:
- 2011 Buick Regal (introduction of fifth-gen model)
- 2012 Buick Regal
- 2013 Buick Regal
- 2014 Buick Regal
- 2015 Buick Regal
- 2016 Buick Regal
- 2017 Buick Regal
- 2018 Buick Regal (introduction of sixth-gen model)
- 2019 Buick Regal
Discuss the next Buick Regal in our Buick forum.
Follow our coverage of Buick Regal news.