Future Buick Envision
We expect the next, second-generation Buick Envision to launch on or after the 2022 model year. Until then, we expect the current, first-generation Envision to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements.
Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the next Buick Envision. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from General Motors and Buick.
If you notice any inaccuracies about the information provided, or have edits to suggest, please let us know here.
|Last redesigned model year:||2016 (first generation)|
|Last midcycle refresh/MCE model year:||none currently, expected for 2019 or 2020|
|Expected redesign model year:||2022-2023 (second generation)|
|Expected name:||Buick Envision|
|Current platform:||GM D2 platform|
|Future platform:||GM VSS-F platform|
|Layout:||FF (front-engined, front-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive)|
|Current body styles:||four-door crossover utility vehicle (CUV)|
|Future body styles:||four-door crossover utility vehicle (CUV)|
|Gasoline:||turbo-charged small-displacement I-4, larger-displacement turbo-charged I-4|
|Diesel:||small-displacement turbo-diesel possible|
|Alternative propulsion:||gasoline hybrid electric|
|Expected transmissions:||9-speed automatic|
- What: an all-new Buick Envision compact crossover that will represent the second generation of the nameplate, after the first-gen Envision was introduced for the 2016 model year
- When: we expect the next Buick Envision to launch in the 2021-2022 calendar year timeframe as a 2022-2023 model year vehicle
- Why: an all-new Envision will maintain Buick’s presence in the hotly-contested premium compact crossover segment
- Where: sold in all current markets where Buick currently has a business presence, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and China
Following are our expectations about the future Buick Envision:
- Based on the new GM VSS-F platform, delivering all-new underpinnings and engineering
- All-new exterior design, available in four-door crossover body style
- All-new interior design
- Improved interior comfort and convenience
- Inclusion of next-generation IntelliLink infotainment system
- Introduction of more GM Active Safety features and technologies
- Introduction of all-new powertrain range
We expect the upcoming future Buick Envision to continue being available as a compact four-door crossover utility vehicle (CUV).
We expect the next Buick Envision to carry similar pricing as the current, second-gen model and have a starting price in the $35,000 range.
We expect the next-gen Buick Envision to ride on the new GM VSS-F platform (vehicle set strategy) shared with all future front-drive GM cars and crossovers.
We expect the next Buick Envision to feature an all-new powertrain, including an all-new engine and transmission set.
The future Buick Envision will have various competitors in the premium, front-drive compact crossover utility vehicle segment, including:
- Acura RDX
- Lexus NX
- Jaguar E-Pace
- Volvo XC60
- Lincoln MKC
Before The All-New Model
Before the all-new future Buick Envision reaches the market, we expect the current first-generation Envision to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements, along with a potential mid-cycle enhancement or facelift. See information about the current-generation Envision by using the following links:
- 2016 Buick Envision (introduction of first-gen model)
- 2017 Buick Envision
- 2018 Buick Envision
- 2019 Buick Envision (potential midcycle refresh)
Discuss the next Buick Envision in our Buick forum.
Follow our coverage of Buick Envision news.