2020 Chevrolet Suburban
The Chevrolet Suburban is expected to be overhauled (redesigned and re-engineered) for the 2020 model year, thereby introducing an all-new 12th-generation model.
Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the 2020 Chevrolet Suburban. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from General Motors and Chevrolet.
If you notice any inaccuracies about the information provided, or have edits to suggest, please let us know here.
Following are our expectations about the 2020 Chevrolet Suburban:
- Based on the new GM T1 platform, delivering all-new underpinnings and engineering
- Significantly lighter than the current model, by as much 300 pounds (136 kilograms)
- All-new exterior and interior designs
- Improved third-row configuration and usability
- Inclusion of next-generation Chevrolet infotainment system (third generation)
- Increased amounts of luxury, comfort and convenience
- Addition of an independent rear suspension, either as an option or as a standard feature
- Introduction of new engine lineup mated to 8- and 10-speed automatic transmissions
- Introduction of front air curtains as new aerodynamics tech (more info on 2020 Suburban air curtains)
- Availability of the GM Super Cruise autonomous driving technology
We expect the 2020 Chevy Suburban to continue being offered as a full-size five-door SUV.
A shorter-length variant will be available as the 2020 Chevrolet Tahoe.
Powertrain (Engines & Transmissions)
|Market||Manufacturer||Brand||Model||Engine||Aspiration||Drive||Transmission||Power (hp / kW @ RPM)||Torque (lb-ft / Nm @ RPM)|
|North America||General Motors Company||Chevrolet||Suburban||2.7L I4 L3B||Turbocharged||RWD or 4WD||8-speed auto MQE||310 / 231 @ 5600||348 / 471 @ 1500|
|North America||General Motors Company||Chevrolet||Suburban||5.3L V8 L84 EcoTec3||Atmospheric||RWD or 4WD||8-speed auto MQE||355 / 265 @ 5600||383 / 518 @ 4100|
|North America||General Motors Company||Chevrolet||Suburban||6.2L V8 L87 EcoTec3||Atmospheric||RWD or 4WD||10-speed auto MQB||420 / 313 @ 5600||460 / 624 @ 4100|
|North America||General Motors Company||Chevrolet||Suburban||3.0L I6 LM2||Turbo Diesel||RWD or 4WD||10-speed auto MQE||280 hp (expected)||440 lb-ft (expected)|
|Russia||General Motors Company||Chevrolet||Suburban||6.2L V8 L87 EcoTec3||Atmospheric||RWD or 4WD||8-speed auto 10-speed auto MQB||420 / 313 @ 5600||460 / 624 @ 4100|
2020 Suburban Retail & Fleet Models:
- 2WD (model code TBD)
- 4WD (model code TBD)
2020 Suburban 3500HD Models:
2020 Suburban Retail & Fleet Trims:
- Fleet (1FL)
- LS (1LS)
- LT (1LT)
- Premier (1LZ)
2020 Suburban Fleet Models:
- LS (1LS)
- LT (1LT)
Like all twelfth-generation units of the Chevrolet Suburban, the 2020 Suburban will ride on the GM T1 platform shared with the 2020 Chevrolet Tahoe, 2020 GMC Yukon, GMC Yukon XL, as well as the Cadillac Escalade and Cadillac Escalade ESV. The same basic architecture was introduced by the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado and 2019 GMC Sierra.
We expect the 2020 Suburban to launch in the fall of the 2019 calendar year.
We expect that the 2020 model year will be the first year of production for the twelfth-gen Chevy Suburban, and that the model will remain in production thru at least the 2025 model year. An all-new, next Chevy Suburban will launch thereafter.
Discuss the 2020 Chevrolet Suburban in our Chevrolet forum.
Follow our coverage of Chevy Suburban news.