2013 Chevrolet Equinox
The second-generation Chevrolet Equinox continues for the 2013 model year with several updates and changes that deliver a more improved and refined vehicle.
- Changes & Updates
- Trim Levels & Pricing
The 2013 Equinox receives several updates and changes, making the vehicle more competitive in the compact crossover segment.
The second-generation Chevrolet Equinox that made its debut in 2010, but with several noteworthy updates and changes that make it a more appealing and more competitive package.
To maintain momentum in the highly-competitive compact mainstream crossover segment.
The 2013 Chevy Equinox arrives on dealer lots in late summer and early fall of 2013.
Following are the highlights of the changes to the 2013 Chevy Equinox:
- 3.6L V6 LFX engine (301 hp / 225 kW and 272 pound-feet of torque / 369 Nm) replaces 3.0L V6 LFW, with same EPA-rated fuel economy
- Chevrolet MyLink Radio with Navigation
- FE2 suspension package (standard with new 3.6L V6 on LTZ with 18-inch or 19-inch wheels)
- Eight-way power front passenger seat
- Universal home remote
- Rear-seat entertainment system
- Safety package that includes forward collision alert, lane departure warning and rear park assist
- Power convenience package that includes a new eight-way power passenger seat, universal home remote and power-assisted programmable liftgate
- Three new exterior colors include Champagne Silver Metallic (later availability), Atlantis Metallic and Tungsten Metallic
- Available rear-seat, dual-player DVD entertainment system with a dual displays in the seat backs and dual wireless headphones
- Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning are now available on both four-cylinder and V6 models
Official RPO-level changes include:
- (GAO) Gold Mist Metallic
- (GHA) Mocha Steel Metallic
- (GLB) Twilight Blue Metallic
- (LFW) Engine, 3.0L V6 DOHC SIDI
- (GWT) Champagne Silver Metallic. Available Fall 2012
- (GWY) Atlantis Metallic
- (GXG) Tungsten Metallic
- (UHQ) Audio system, Color Touch Navigation with Chevrolet MyLink
- (AH8) Power passenger seat
- (UG1) Universal Home Remote
- (LFX) Engine, 3.6L DOHC V6 SIDI engine
- (FE2) Suspension, Ride & Handling
- (PDC) Power Convenience Package
- (PCW) Safety Package, includes (UEU) Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning and (UD7) Rear Park Assist
- Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning now available on 4-cylinder and V6 engines
The Equinox wears Chevrolet’s signature global face that’s made up of a two-tier grille and prominent gold bowtie insignia. The face flows into a multi-dimension hood, strong fender shapes, distinctive premium roofline, wraparound headlamps, and dual round taillamps. A wraparound rear side glass and wheels-at-the-corners stance complete the general design direction.
Additional exterior features include:
- Integrated rocker panels make getting in and out of the Equinox easier
- Chrome trim and flush-fitting , “exposed edge” windshield and rear glass provide an upscale appearance and reduce wind noise
- Range of 17-, 18- and 19-inch wheels
Equinox’s interior is designed for comfort, convenience and versatility.
Called MultiFlex, the standard sliding rear seat travels nearly eight inches fore and aft, providing up to 39.9 inches (1,015 mm) of real legroom — the most rear legroom in its class. With the 60/40 split-back rear seat moved all the way forward, the cargo area offers 31.4 cubic feet (889 liters) of storage.
Family-friendly features include several storage bins, an oversized glove box, a closed storage under the center armrest big enough to accommodate a laptop computer, four 12-volt power outlets and eight cup and bottle holders. A segment-exclusive rear programmable power liftgate is standard on LTZ and available on 2LT with the power convenience package.
Equinox is also a quiet and refined vehicle thanks to noise-absorbing elements in the chassis, engine compartment, interior and windshield glass, making the cabin one of the quietest in the segment. 2.4L models feature an Active Noise Cancellation system that contributes to exceptional quietness and improved fuel economy.
Additional interior features include:
- Available Chevrolet MyLink Radio with Navigation
- Air conditioning is standard on all models, with automatic climate control standard on 2LT and LTZ
- Leather-appointed seating is standard on LTZ and available on 2LT
- Universal home remote is standard on LTZ and available on 2LT with the power convenience package
- Eight-way power front passenger seat is standard on LTZ and available on 2LT with the power convenience package
- Heated front seats are standard on LTZ
- Rear-vision camera is standard on LT and LT
- Adaptive remote start that also activates the front and rear defrosters, heated seats and outside heated mirrors when the temperature is 45 degrees F (7 C) or colder
- Ice-blue ambient lighting accentuates key areas of the cabin and provides an upscale look and feel
- Range of standard and available audio systems , including a Pioneer Premium System with up to eight speakers and 250 watts of output
Like all second-generation Chevrolet Equinoxes, the 2013 model rides on the long-wheelbase variant of GM’s Theta 2 platform.
The body-integral structure with single-piece body side stampings and targeted applications of high-strength steel. These elements create a solid, quiet driving experience. Additional features include:
- Strong structure with four-wheel independent suspension system for greater control and driver feedback Rack-mounted electronic power steering on 2.4L-equipped models; hydraulic power rack-and-pinion steering on 3.6L V6-equipped models
- Available all-wheel drive
- Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control and rollover mitigation technology help keeps the vehicle in its intended path in the event of an emergency maneuver
- Trailering anti-sway control and hill hold assist feature
- Standard four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes with traction control, hill-start assist and electronic brake force distribution to help maximize braking performance.
The 2013 Chevy Equinox features a choice of four- or six-cylinder engine mated to a six-speed automatic transmission.
Both the standard Ecotec 2.4L engine and available 3.6L V-6 in the Equinox feature fuel-saving direct injection and continuously variable valve timing technology. The 2 .4L delivers 182 horsepower (136 kW) with an EPA-estimated highway fuel economy rating of 32 mpg (on FWD version). E85 FlexFuel capability is available on vehicles with federal emissions.
The 3.6L is rated at 301 horsepower (225 kW) and 272 lb.-ft. of torque (369 Nm). This new engine uses lightweight components that contribute to the Equinox’s fuel efficiency while boosting its horsepower. An integrated cylinder head/exhaust manifold design saves about 13 pounds compared to a non-integrated design, while a composite intake manifold saves about 5.5 pounds vs. an aluminum intake. Additionally, a lightweight structural front cover and high-strength connecting rods save additional weight.
E85 FlexFuel capability is available on vehicles with federal emissions.
An efficient six-speed automatic transmission is standard on all models and an “Eco” transmission mode on 2.4L-equipped models alters shift points to improve fuel economy.
FWD or AWD.
Equinox is built on a solid structure that includes strategic applications of high-strength steel to protect occupants in the event of a crash. And it is equipped with safety features designed to avoid crashes or protect occupants in the event of one, including:
Six standard air bags including dual frontal air bags, head curtain side air bags and pelvic/thorax seat-mounted side air bags Standard four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes with Electronic Brake Force Distribution, StabiliTrak electronic stability control, traction control and rollover mitigation. Rear-vision camera that helps drivers identify objects behind the vehicle is standard on LTZ and 2LT and available on 1LT Standard tire pressure monitoring system Daytime running lamps make the Equinox more visible to other drivers and to pedestrians Forward Collision Alert, Lane Departure Warning and Rear Park Assist are standard on LTZ and available on 2LT. OnStar details
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service is standard on Equinox. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar’s RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle. A new, opt-in service called FamilyLink allows subscribers to stay connected to loved ones by checking the location of their vehicle online or by signing up for vehicle location alerts.
Equinox also features new OnStar button icons. Drivers will notice an updated look for the Hands-Free Calling button, blue OnStar button and red Emergency button.
Though its exterior dimensions place it between the compact and midsize segments, the Chevy Equinox competes in the mainstream compact crossover/CUV segment with the following vehicles:
Ford Escape Jeep Cherokee Toyota RAV4 Nissan Rogue Honda CR-V Hyundai Tucson and Hyundai Santa-Fe Kia Sportage and Kia Sorento Volkswagen Tiguan
* SAE Certified
- How-To: 2013 Chevrolet Equinox Remote Start