2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Having garnered more than 20 industry awards in 2014 and earned another spot on Car and Driver’s coveted 10Best list for 2015, the Corvette Stingray continues the seventh generation of the Corvette family with various enhancements for the 2016 model year. The updates are comprised of higher levels of technology and improved connectivity, more personalization choices, and increased levels of convenience.
- Updates & Changes
- New Design Packages
- Body Styles
- Trim Levels & Price
- Performance & Efficiency
- Driving Experience
- Order Guide
The 2016 Corvette Stingray updates and changes include:
- Three all-new, color-themed design packages – Twilight Blue, Spice Red and Jet Black Suede – lead the charge, offering custom-tailored appearances that elevate the Stingray’s presence on the street or track
- Available front curb view parking camera
- Power-cinching latch for coupe’s hatchback or convertible’s trunk
- New smartphone projection technology on Corvette Stingray’s MyLink system displays content from Apple iPhone 5 or later models on the multicolor screen through the Apple CarPlay feature. Supported apps for the system include phone, messages, maps, music and compatible third-party apps
- Corvette Racing Yellow Tintcoat and Long Beach Red Metallic Tintcoat exterior colors replace Velocity Yellow and Crystal Red Tintcoat, respectively
- New standard wheel design now offered silver, black, machined and chrome
- Carbon Flash badge option deletes the chrome bar on the front grille
- Carbon Fiber Hood option features a visible weave section
- Flat-bottom steering wheel
- Available two-tone GT seats – red or gray – offered in leather or sueded microfiber
- Red or yellow stitching option offered on Stingray 3LT Jet Black interior
- Magnetic Ride Control is available on Stingray models without the Z51 package
Here are the RPO-level updates and changes to the 2016 Corvette Stingray:
- (G8A) Velocity Yellow Tintcoat exterior color
- (GBE) Crystal Red Tintcoat exterior color
- (ATI) Atlantic Design Package
- (PFI) Pacific Design Package
- (G1E) Long Beach Red Metallic Tintcoat exterior color (extra cost)
- (GC6) Corvette Racing Yellow Tintcoat exterior color (extra cost)
- (TU7) Two-tone seats (Gray or Adrenaline Red with Napa leather or sueded microfiber inserts)
- (704/706) Adrenaline Red leather seating surface with sueded microfiber inserts now available on 2LT, 2LZ, 3LT and 3LZ and require (TU7) two-tone seats option
- (UVJ) Front Curb View parking cameras, included on 2LT, 3LT, 2LZ and 3LZ
- (36S) Yellow custom leather stitch (3LT/3LZ)
- (38S) Red custom leather stitch (3LT/3LZ)
- Power cinching hatch and trunk, standard
- (ZLD) Twilight Blue Design Package (3LT/3LZ)
- (ZLE) Spice Red Design Package (3LT/3LZ)
- (ZLG) Black Suede Design Package (3LT/3LZ)
- (ZCR) C7.R Special Edition (3LZ)
- (B92) Exposed Carbon Fiber weave hood insert
- (DUP) Red, White and Blue Full Length Racing Decal Package
- (FE2) Magnetic Selective Ride Control without Z51
- (SH2) Custom floor console lid with Stingray logo, LPO
- (SH1) Custom leather Brownstone floor console lid with Stingray logo, LPO
- (VTF) Custom leather-wrapped floor console lid with Stingray logo, LPO
- (5YW) Motorsports polished aluminum 19″ front and 20″ rear wheels, LPO
- (5YX) Motorsports Black aluminum 19″ front and 20″ rear wheels, LPO
- (5Z8) Z06 10-spoke blade Pearl Nickel-painted aluminum, 19″ front and 20″ rear wheels, LPO
- (6Z9) Z06 10-spoke blade Black-painted aluminum, 19″ front and 20″ rear wheels, LPO
- (VLN) Windscreen, LPO
- (555/556) Brownstone interior seating now available on Z06 (2LZ/3LZ)
- (NK4) leather-wrapped flat-bottom steering wheel now standard on Stingray models
- 3LZ interior color break now matches 3LT (more color)
- (QG6/QX3/QX1/RPK) wheels have new design
- (EYT) Carbon Flash Badge Package includes full Carbon Flash grille without chrome bar on Stingray models
- Updated infotainment system
The three new design packages offered on 2016 Stingray offer customers more choices for a tailored look and feel of their Corvette. Each gives the vehicle a distinctive, customized appearance that reflects the different roles the Corvette plays in different customers’ experiences – from high-performance to grand touring.
Each is offered on Stingray 3LT coupe and convertible models with the following details.
Twilight Blue Design Package
- Offered in Shark Gray, Blade Silver, Arctic White or Night Race Blue exterior colors
- Convertibles feature a blue top and Shark Gray tonneau inserts
- Shark Gray accent vents
- Polished Motorsport wheel
- Black or gray brake calipers
- Wing rear spoiler included on Stingray models without the Z51 package
- Optional tri-color stripe package
- Special Twilight Blue full-color interior color
- Magnetic Ride Control required on Stingray models without Z51
Spice Red Design Package
- Offered in new Long Beach Red Metallic Tintcoat, Shark Gray, Blade Silver and Arctic White exterior colors
- Convertibles feature a Spice Red top
- Polished Motorsport wheel
- Wing rear spoiler included on Stingray models without the Z51 package
- Special Spice Red full-color interior color
- Magnetic Ride Control required on Stingray models without Z51
Jet Black Suede Design Package
- Offered in Black, Blade Silver, Arctic White and Torch Red exterior colors
- Convertibles feature a black top
- Satin black wheels with red stripe
- Red brake calipers
- Wing rear spoiler included on Stingray models without the Z51 package
- Carbon Flash exterior badges
- Satin black hood extractor and graphic
- Special Jet Black sueded microfiber interior – with sueded microfiber steering wheel and shifter
- Carbon fiber (high gloss) interior trim plate
- Magnetic Ride Control on Stingray models without Z51
Corvette Stingray’s provocative exterior styling is as functional as it is elegant. It makes a bold design statement that embraces the advanced technology of the car, while enhancing its overall performance in everything from the wind tunnel to the track.
Lighting is a signature element of the Corvette Stingray’s design that reinforces its high-tech aesthetic. At the front, indirect white LED lamps form a distinctive daytime styling cue. These lights are set in black-chrome lamp housings with standard HID projector headlamps. The turn signals feature edge-lit amber LED lighting. In the rear, the dual-element taillamps feature three-dimensional, sculpted lenses housing innovative indirect LED lighting. The state-of-the-art lighting uses hidden LED lamps that cast their light up from the bottom of the housing into a reverse reflector, creating an even glow. LED lamps are also used for the white backup lamps. The taillamps integrate functional aircraft-style air outlets for the available differential and transmission coolers.
Additional exterior features include:
- Heated outside mirrors are standard on all trim levels and a driver’s auto-dimming outside mirror is standard on 2LT and 3LT trims
- Removable carbon fiber roof panel (body color) is standard on all coupes; a transparent roof panel is available
- Visible carbon fiber roof panel is available on 2LT and 3LT
- Dual roof packages including solid and transparent removable roof panels are available on 2LT and 3LT coupes; solid roof offered in body color or carbon fiber
- Exterior badges offered in available Carbon Flash (chrome is standard)
- Stinger-type and dual racing stripe packages are offered in several colors
- 18 x 8.5-inch front and 19 x 10-inch rear wheels are standard on Corvette Stingray. Silver-painted aluminum is standard; chrome, black and machined black finishes are available
- 19 x 8.5-inch front and 20 x 10-inch rear wheels are standard with the Stingray’s Z51 Performance Package. Silver-painted aluminum is standard; black machined aluminum, chrome and black finishes available
- New FE2 Magnetic Ride Control on Stingray enables Z51 wheels and rear spoiler without the Z51 Performance Package
2016 Corvette Stingray exterior colors include:
- Arctic White
- Blade Silver Metallic
- Shark Gray Metallic
- Torch Red
- Night Race Blue Metallic
- Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic ($495 extra-cost color)
- Laguna Blue Tintcoat ($995 extra-cost color)
- Long Beach Red Metallic Tintcoat (new for 2016; $995 extra-cost color)
- Corvette Racing Yellow Tintcoat (new for 2016; $995 extra-cost color)
2016 Corvette Stingray interior color combinations include:
- Jet Black
- Adrenaline Red
- Spice Red
The Corvette Stingray is available in two body styles:
- A two-door hatchback-like coupe with a removable roof, and
- A two-door soft-top convertible
The Corvette Stingray convertible features a fully electronic top that can be lowered remotely using the key fob. The top can also be opened or closed on the go, at speeds of up to 30 mph (50 km/h). Its folding mechanism is all-new and enables the top to be lowered in 21 seconds.
With the top up, the convertible is designed for a refined driving experience. A thick fabric top, along with sound-absorbing padding and a glass rear window, contributes to a quiet cabin and premium appearance.
With the top down, the Corvette Stingray’s signature profile is further accentuated. Behind the seat backs, dual black trim panels enhance the character lines of the tonneau cover. Corvette Stingray’s signature “waterfall” design originates in the valley between the seats, bringing the exterior color into the interior.
The Corvette Stingray interior blends fine materials and craftsmanship with advanced technologies that contribute to a more connected and more engaging driving experience. Every feature and detail is designed to enhance the driver’s connection to the Corvette, starting with the fighter jet-inspired wraparound cockpit and continuing with supportive seats and high-definition, configurable screens.
A comparatively small, 14.1-inch-diameter (360 mm) steering wheel – with a new flat-bottom design – fosters a more direct, immediate feel to directional inputs. The attention to the driver extends to the smallest details, including the flat, precise stitching on the steering wheel designed to provide a smooth, consistent feel.
Precise and elegant stitching is also seen in the available Napa leather trim on the seats. Two seating choices are offered:
- A GT seat for all-around comfort
- A Competition Sport seat with more aggressive side bolstering that provides greater support on the track
The frame structure for both seats is made of magnesium for greater strength. Several trim combinations are offered for the seats:
- 1LT: GT seats with perforated Mulan leather seating surfaces or Competition Sport seats with leather seating surfaces and sueded microfiber inserts
- 2LT: GT or Competition Sport seats with perforated Mulan leather seating surfaces; GT or Competition Sport seats with leather seating surfaces and sueded microfiber inserts
- 3LT: GT seats with perforated Napa leather seating surfaces; Competition Sport seats with perforated Mulan leather seating surfaces; GT or Competition Sport seats with leather seating surfaces and sueded microfiber inserts. Also, the 3LT features a leather-wrapped instrument panel and suede-wrapped upper trim.
All models feature a fully-wrapped interior, where every surface is covered with premium, soft-touch materials. Available materials, depending on the trim level, include Napa leather, aluminum, carbon fiber and micro-suede. There’s even a micro-LED screen for the passenger’s climate control placed below the vent on the dash, away from the performance features on the instrument panel.
Additional interior features include:
- Available Performance Data Recorder (included with the navigation system; see Technology section for more details)
- Color driver information center (standard on all trim levels)
- Electric-locking glovebox
- Eight-inch-diagonal color touch radio with Chevrolet MyLink is standard on all trim levels; a navigation system is standard on 3LT and available on 1LT and 2LT. The MyLink screen includes a storage compartment behind the screen
- Bose nine-speaker premium audio system is standard on 1LT
- Bose 10-speaker premium audio system – with bass box – is standard on 2LT and 3LT
- Head-up display with color readouts – including g-meter in track mode – is standard on 2LT and 3LT
- Keyless access with push-button start is standard on all trim levels
- Rear-vision camera is standard on all trim levels
- Front parking camera is offered on 2LT and 3LT trim levels
- Power tilting/telescoping steering column is standard on all trim levels
- Heated and ventilated seats are standard on 2LT and 3LT
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel is standard on all trim levels and a sueded microfiber-covered steering wheel is included with suede competition sport seats
- Sueded microfiber-wrapped upper interior trim package is standard on 3LT and includes headliner, visors, trim above windshield and rear window, A-pillar trim and area around quarter window
- MyLink with smartphone projection technology and OnStar 4G LTE
New for Corvette Stingray for the 2016 model year is Chevrolet’s new MyLink system with an 8-inch-diagonal color touchscreen that is compatible with Apple CarPlay, which puts iPhone features on the display in a smart, simple manner, allowing drivers to make calls, send and receive messages and listen to music right from the touchscreen or by voice via Siri. CarPlay helps drivers spend more time with eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.
Apple CarPlay-supported apps include:
- And compatible third-party apps
A full list of those apps can be found at Apple.com/ios/carplay.
While development and testing is not yet complete, Chevy says that Android Auto compatibility may be available later in the 2016 model year.
OnStar 4G LTE With Wi-Fi Hotspot
OnStar 4G LTE connectivity with Wi-Fi hotspot provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the vehicle is on and it comes with a three-month/three gigabyte data trial (whichever comes first), after which the customer can purchase additional data.
4G LTE is the most current and fastest mobile data network that is 10 times faster than 3G and 100 times faster than the previous generation of OnStar hardware. And with OnStar, it also offers stronger, broader coverage than smartphones on the same network and it’s easy to use: If the vehicle is on, the connection is on.
OnStar Guidance Trial
At the time of purchase, six months of OnStar Guidance includes all of OnStar’s advisor-based safety and security features, including Automatic Crash Response and Stolen Vehicle Assistance, as well as turn-by-turn navigation.
Five years of OnStar Basic Plan includes RemoteLink Key Fob Services, allowing owners to remotely start and lock/unlock a car (if properly equipped), and activate the horn and lights from anywhere with a data connection. It also includes OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics that runs monthly checks of a vehicle’s engine, transmission, antilock brakes, among other vehicle components, and Dealer Maintenance Notification, which sends diagnostic report directly to a preferred dealer to make service scheduling simple.
Driver Mode Selector
At the core of the Corvette Stingray’s driver-focused technologies is the cockpit-mounted Driver Mode Selector, which allows drivers to optimize the car for their driving preference and road conditions via five settings:
- Tour: the default setting for everyday driving
- Weather: designed primarily for added confidence while driving in rain and snow
- Eco: designed for achieving optimal fuel economy
- Sport: for spirited road driving
- Track: for track use
Up to 12 performance parameters are adjusted with the selection of each mode, including:
- Gauge cluster configuration:
- The Tour, Eco and Weather modes feature displays for trip data, audio and navigation
- Sport mode shows classic, easy-to-read sports car gauges
- Track mode’s configuration shows a gauge design based on the Corvette Racing race car display with lap timer
- ETC (Electronic Throttle Control): adjusts the throttle input curve for the selected mode for improved responsiveness
- Paddle-shift automatic transmission: Adjusts shift comfort and shift points
- Active Fuel Management:
- In normal mode, the Corvette Stingray’s 6.2L V8 LT1 engine uses V8 power
- In Eco mode, the engine can operate in four-cylinder mode to improve fuel economy until aggressive acceleration is called for
- Exhaust (active exhaust system): the system adjusts the timing of the electronically-controlled exhaust valves to enhance audible feedback from the V8 depending on the drive mode
- Electronic limited-slip differential (Z51): adjusts the rate at which the limited slip engages, to balance between steering response and stability in different driving conditions. The Limited Slip enables more aggressive performance in Sport and Track modes
- Steering: assist effort is adjusted in the modes to provide the driver with the correct steering feel for the driving condition
- Magnetic Ride Control: adjusts shock damping based on road conditions, from optimized comfort to performance driving
- Launch control: available in Track mode for manual and automatic transmissions, providing maximum off-the-line acceleration
- Active handling (StabiliTrak stability control): a “competitive” setting is available in Track mode and is more suited for on-track conditions. StabiliTrak stability control can also be disabled, giving the driver complete control
- Traction control: weather mode tailors traction control and engine torque for driving in inclement conditions
- Performance Traction Management: available in Track mode and offers five settings of torque reduction and brake intervention for track driving
Three configurable displays, including a pair of eight-inch screens — one in the center stack and the other in integrated into the instrumen cluster — as well as a color head-up display, deliver personalized information and convey the different performance parameters of each drive mode
The two eight-inch screens offer excellent visibility in direct sunlight, with 650 cd/m2 of brightness for the one integrated into the instrument cluster and 1,000 cd/m2 of brightness for the one in the center stack, making them among the brightest screens in the industry. The screen in the center stack also features touch-screen control with gesture recognition and can be lowered to reveal a hidden storage compartment that includes a USB input for device charging or uploads.
Performance Data Recorder
The award-winning, industry-first Performance Data Recorder – or PDR – enables users to record high-definition video with telemetry overlays of their driving experiences on and off the track. The system was developed with Cosworth, the motorsports-engineering company that supplies the Corvette Racing team’s data acquisition and telemetry electronics system.
The PDR system includes three major components, all seamlessly integrated into the Corvette Stingray’s interior:
- A high-definition camera, mounted within the windshield header trim, which records the driver’s point-of-view through the windshield. Audio is recorded via a dedicated microphone in the cabin.
- A a self-contained telemetry recorder, which uses a dedicated GPS receiver that operates at 5 hertz, or cycles per second – five times faster than the in-dash navigation system, which allows more precise positioning and corner traces.
- A dedicated SD-card slot in the glove box for recording and transferring video and vehicle data (SD card not included).
Recording time depends on the capacity of the memory card, but an 8-gigabyte card can record approximately 200 minutes, while a 32-GB card stores up to about 800 minutes – more than 13 hours of driving time.
The PDR system can record video with four data overlay options, each rendered in real time:
- Track Mode: shows the maximum level of data on the screen, including speed, rpm, g-force, a location-based map, lap time and more
- Sport Mode: shows fewer details on the overlay but includes key data including speed and g-force
- Touring Mode: simply records and displays video and audio of the drive with no data overlay
- Performance Mode: records performance metrics, such as 0 to 60 mph acceleration, 1/4-mile speed and elapsed time, and 0-100-0 mph runs
The video can be viewed on the Corvette Stingray’s 8-inch color touchscreen when the car is parked, or transfered to a computer via the SD card for further editing as well as for sharing video via social media sites. For users who want a more in-depth understanding of their performance, the PDR vehicle data can be opened in the included “Cosworth Toolbox” software, which combines Cosworth’s professional-level motorsport data analysis with an easy-to-use graphic interface.
Like the 2015 model, the 2016 Corvette Stingray continues to pair an eight-cylinder engine to either a seven-speed manual or an eight-speed automatic transmission while sending power to the rear wheels.
The 2016 Corvette Stingray carries over the 6.2L V8 LT1 engine rated at an SAE-certified 455 horsepower (339 kW) and 460 pound-feet of torque (624 Nm). Those numbers rise to 460 horsepower (343 kW) and 465 pound-feet (630 Nm) with the available performance exhaust system.
The engine’s performance comes from combining advanced technologies such as direct injection, Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and continuously Variable Valve Timing (VVT) with an advanced combustion system. Z51-equipped models include a dry-sump oiling system.
The LT1 is backed by a choice of active, 2.75-inch-diameter exhaust systems. The standard system features a pair of butterfly valves that contribute to greater refinement at cruising speeds when the engine is operating in fuel-saving four-cylinder mode. Meanwhile, the available performance variable-mode active exhaust system has two additional valves that open to a lower-restriction path through the mufflers. When open, these valves increase engine performance and produce a more powerful exhaust note – while also raising the engine’s output to 460 horsepower (343 kW) and 465 pound-feet of torque (630 Nm).
The Corvette Stingray is one of the few sports cars to offer a conventional manual transmission and an eight-speed automatic:
The manual is an all-new seven-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Matching. It incorporates rev-matching technology for upshifts and downshifts. This driver-selectable feature can be easily engaged or disengaged via paddles on the steering wheel. The seven-speed uses a new dual-mass flywheel and dual-disc clutch, which deliver greater shift quality and feel through lower inertia. The transmission with the Z51 Performance Package includes specific close-ratio gearing for more aggressive driving.
Designed and built by GM, the available eight-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission (8L90) delivers world-class shift times that rival the best dual-clutch designs, delivered with the smoothness unique to a transmission with a torque converter.
The 2016 Corvette Stingray is available exclusively as a rear-wheel drive vehicle.
Corvette Stingray is offered in 1LT, 2LT and 3LT trim levels and in Coupe and Convertible body styles.
In addition, the 2016 Corvette Stingray offers the Z51 Performance Package that features:
- Integrated coolers for the rear differential and transmission (the transmission cooler is also included with the optional automatic transmission)
- On coupe models, the air intakes are integrated on the rear quarter panels. On convertible models, the air intakes are integrated into the underbody
- Airflow through the differential and transmission heat exchangers exits through the aircraft-inspired taillamp vents and lower-rear fascia air outlets
- Brake-cooling ducts
- A unique rear spoiler
- Additional air deflectors for enhanced track capability
- Unique Wheels
|2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Coupe 1LT:||$56,395|
|2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Coupe 1LT with Z51 Performance Package:||$61,395|
|2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Coupe 2LT:||$60,850|
|2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Coupe 2LT with Z51 Performance Package:||$65,850|
|2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Coupe 3LT:||$66,140|
|2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Coupe 3LT with Z51 Performance Package:||$71,140|
|2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible 1LT:||$60,395|
|2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible 1LT with Z51 Performance Package:||$65,395|
|2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible 2LT:||$64,850|
|2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible 2LT with Z51 Performance Package:||$69,850|
|2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible 3LT:||$70,140|
|2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible 3LT with Z51 Performance Package:"$75||140"|
The 2016 Corvette Stingray continues to ride on GM’s Y platform.
The seventh-generation (C7) Corvette coupe and convertible take advantage of lightweight materials, advanced manufacturing techniques and technology transfer from the Corvette Racing program to produce an ideal 50/50 weight balance and to deliver world-class power-to-weight ratios.
The technologically-advanced foundation is an aluminum frame structure that is so strong, no structural reinforcements are needed for the convertible model. The only changes are limited to accommodations for the folding top and repositioned safety belt mounts.
The frame features main rails composed of five customized aluminum segments, including aluminum extrusions at each end, a center main rail section and hollow-cast nodes at the suspension interface points. Each segment’s gauge varies in thickness from 2mm to 11mm, tailored – along with the shape – to optimize the strength requirements for each frame section with minimal weight.
The aluminum frame is manufactured using innovative manufacturing processes at GM’s Bowling Green assembly plant in the state of Kentucky. The state-of-the-art facility employs several advanced joining technologies to ensure dimensional accuracy within 0.75 mm.
Each Corvette C7 frame features:
- 439 spot-welds using a GM-patented process that uses a unique electrode designed specifically for aluminum
- 188 Flowdrill-machined fasteners, which are installed by a high-speed drill that extrudes the frame material to create a strong, integral collar that is tapped for bolt-on fasteners
- 113 feet of structural adhesives, used in conjunction with welding and fasteners to increase overall frame stiffness
- 37 feet of laser welds, which join frame sections via a precise beam of high energy that minimizes heat beyond the weld area for improved structural accuracy
The frame’s strength and low weight are complemented by chassis elements also designed for low-mass strength, including hollow-cast aluminum front and rear cradles.
Innovative use of materials includes a standard carbon fiber hood on all Corvette Stingray models, and a carbon fiber roof panel on all coupes. In addition, underbody panels are created with carbon-nano composite technology, an advanced blend of traditional composite material and carbon fiber for reduced weight and improved strength. Fenders, doors, rear quarter panels and the rear hatch panel are made with light-density Sheet Molded Compound.
Corvette Stingray’s powertrain enables manual-transmission Z51-equipped models able to accelerate from 0-60 in 3.8 seconds – 3.7 seconds with the eight-speed automatic – and run the quarter-mile in 12 seconds at 119 mph, and the Corvette’s chassis and suspension features contribute to 1.03g in cornering grip and stop from 60 mph in 107 feet.
The Corvette Stingray backs its performance capability with the greatest efficiency of any sports car on the market with more than 450 horsepower, delivering an EPA-estimated 17 mpg city driving and 29 mpg on the highway with the seven-speed manual transmission.
The Corvette Stingray’s chassis and suspension are designed to take advantage of the lighter and stiffer structure. Its rigidity allowed engineers to more precisely tune the suspension and steering for a more nimble and responsive driving experience. The components and their calibrations – from the brake size and damper rates to the steering system – are identical between coupes and convertible.
A racing-proven short/long-arm suspension design is used front and rear, with lightweight complementing components that include hollow lower control arms and aluminum rear toe links.
The Corvette Stingray rides on 18 x 8.5-inch front and 19 x 10-inch rear wheels, while models with the Z51 Performance Package roll on 19 x 8.5-inch front and 20 x 10-inch rear forged aluminum wheels – all shod with Michelin Pilot Super Sport run-flat tires developed specifically for the seventh-generation Corvette. As a result, the Corvette Stingray with the Z51 Performance Package is capable of 1.03g in cornering acceleration.
Additional suspension features include:
- Dampers: includes standard 35mm-piston Bilstein monotube shocks that connect to dual-path aluminum shock mounts that separate the shock rod and shock body load paths. The Corvette Stingray with the Z51 Performance Package comes with 45mm-piston Bilstein dampers for more aggressive body control and track capability. Z51 is also available with the third-generation Magnetic Ride Control, which features a twin-wire/dual-coil damper system that reacts 40 percent faster than previous generations, enabling improved ride comfort and body control. Magnetic Ride Control is also available on non-Z51 Stingray models (requires 19-/20-inch wheels).
- Steering: electric power steering offers variable ratios and variable effort to tailor responsiveness and feel for each driving situation. It also delivers precise control and feedback to the driver, along with great variability of effort for high-performance driving, as well as excellent on-center sensitivity and linearity.
- Axle: a smart electronic limited-slip differential (eLSD) is included in the Z51 Performance Package and continuously makes the most of the torque split between the rear wheels. The system features a hydraulically actuated clutch that can infinitely vary clutch engagement and can respond from open to full engagement in tenths of a second. It shifts torque based on a unique algorithm that factors in vehicle speed, steering input and throttle position to improve steering feel, handling balance and traction. The eLSD is fully integrated with Electronic Stability Control and Performance Traction Management systems. Its calibrations vary among three modes, based on the Drive Mode Selector setting:
- Mode 1 is the default setting for normal driving and emphasizes vehicle stability
- Mode 2 is engaged when electronic stability control is turned off in the Sport or Track modes. This calibration enables more nimble turn-in and traction while accelerating out of a corner
- Mode 3 is automatically selected when Performance Traction Management is engaged. This calibration has the same function as Mode 2, but is fine-tuned to work with Performance Traction Management
- Brakes: standard Brembo brakes, with four-piston fixed calipers derived from racing, deliver exceptional stopping power on the street or track. System highlights include:
- Standard brakes: 12.6-inch (320 mm) front rotors and 13.3-inch (338 mm) rear rotors are standard and have 35-percent more swept area than previous-generation brakes. Consequently, stopping distance is improved 9 percent.
- Z51 package: dual-cast, slotted 13.6-inch (345 mm) front rotors and 13.3-inch (338 mm) slotted rear rotors are included with Z51 Performance Package. They have 6 percent more swept area than the previous-generation Grand Sport and are cooled front and rear for improved track capability. Consequently, stopping distance is improved 5 percent.
- All brake packages have fixed four-piston front and rear calipers that are stiffer for more even pad wear, reduced drag and improved modulation.
The Corvette Stingray is built at GM’s Bowling Green assembly plant in Kentucky, USA.
Download the order guide for the 2016 Corvette Stingray (PDF format).
2016 Corvette Stingray Overview
|Model:||Chevrolet Corvette Stingray coupe and convertible|
|Body styles:||2-door hatchback coupe with removable roof panel or 2-door soft-top convertible|
|Construction:||composite and carbon-fiber body panels, hydroformed aluminum frame with aluminum and magnesium structural and chassis components|
|Manufacturing location:||Bowling Green, Kentucky, USA|
2016 Corvette Stingray Engine
|Engine:||6.2L V8 LT1|
|Displacement (cu in / cc):||376 / 6162|
|Bore & stroke (in / mm):||4.06 x 3.62 / 103.25 x 92|
|Block material:||cast aluminum|
|Cylinder head material:||cast aluminum|
|Valvetrain:||overhead valve, two valves per cylinder|
|Fuel delivery:||direct injection|
|Lubrication system (Stingray):||wet sump|
|Lubrication system (Stingray with Z51):||dry sump|
|Horsepower (hp / kW @ rpm):||455 / 339 @ 6000 (SAE-certified)|
|Horsepower with available performance exhaust (hp / kW @ rpm):||460 / 343|
|Torque (lb-ft / Nm @ rpm):||460 / 624 @ 4600 (SAE-certified)|
|Torque with available performance exhaust (hp / kW @ rpm):||465 / 630|
|Maximum engine speed (rpm):||6,600|
|Recommended fuel:||premium recommended, not required|
|EPA-estimated fuel economy (manual transmission) (city / hwy):||17 / 29|
|EPA-estimated fuel economy (automatic transmission) (city / hwy):||16 / 29|
2016 Corvette Stingray Transmissions
|Type:||seven-speed manual with Active Rev Match||seven-speed manual with Active Rev Match w/Z51||eight-speed paddle-shift automatic|
|Gear ratios (:1)|
|Final drive ratio:||3.42||3.42||2.41 (standard), 2.73 with Z51|
2016 Corvette Stingray Chassis & Suspension
|Front:||short/long arm (SLA) double wishbone, cast aluminum upper and lower control arms, transverse-mounted composite spring, monotube shock absorber|
|Rear:||short/long arm (SLA) double wishbone, cast aluminum upper and lower control arms, transverse-mounted composite spring, monotube shock absorber|
|Active handling:||Magnetic Selective Ride Control (available)|
|Traction control:||StabiliTrak electronic stability control|
|Steering type:||variable-ratio rack-and-pinion with electric power assist|
|Steering gear ratio:||12.0 to 16.4|
|Turns lock to lock||2.53|
|Turning circle, curb to curb (ft / m):||37.7 / 11.5|
2016 Corvette Stingray Brakes
|Type (standard):||front and rear power-assisted discs with four-piston fixed front and rear calipers|
|Type (with Z51 package):||front and rear power-assisted and slotted discs with four-piston fixed front and rear calipers|
|Rotor diameter (front, standard) (in / mm):||12.6 / 320|
|Rotor diameter (front, with Z51) (in / mm):||13.6 / 345|
|Rotor diameter (rear, standard and Z51) (in / mm):||13.3 / 338|
|Rotor thickness (front, standard and Z51) (in / mm):||1.18 / 30|
|Rotor thickness (rear, standard and Z51) (in / mm):||0.90 / 23|
2016 Corvette Stingray Wheels & Tires
|Wheel size (front, standard):||18-inch x 8.5-inch|
|Wheel size (front, with Z51):||19-inch x 8.5-inch|
|Wheel size (rear, standard):||19-inch x 10-inch|
|Wheel size (rear, with Z51):||20-inch x 10-inch|
|Tires:||Michelin Pilot Super Sport run-flat|
|Tire size (front, standard):||P245/40R18|
|Tire size (front, with Z51):||P245/35R19|
|Tire size (rear, standard):||P285/35R19|
|Tire size (rear, with Z51):||P285/30R20|
2016 Corvette Stingray Exterior Dimensions
|Wheelbase (in / mm):||106.7 / 2710|
|Overall length (in / mm):||176.9 / 4493|
|Overall width (in / mm):||73.9 / 1877|
|Overall height (coupe) (in / mm):||48.6 / 1235|
|Overall height (convertible) (in / mm):||48.6 / 1235|
|Track (front) (in / mm):||63 / 1600|
|Track (rear) (in / mm):||61.7 / 1567|
|Curb weight (coupe) (lb / kg):||3298 / 1499|
|Curb weight (convertible) (lb / kg):||3362 / 1529|
|Weight distribution (% front / rear):||50 / 50|
2016 Corvette Stingray Interior Dimensions
|Headroom (in / mm):||38 / 962|
|Leg room (in / mm):||43 / 1092|
|Shoulder room (in / mm):||55 / 1397|
|Hip room (in / mm):||54 / 1371|
2016 Corvette Stingray Capacities
|Interior volume (cu ft / L):||52 / 1475|
|Cargo volume (Coupe) (cu ft / L):||15 / 425|
|Cargo volume (Convertible) (cu ft / L):||10 / 283|
|Fuel capacity (gal / L):||18.5 / 70|
|Engine oil (qt / L):||7 / 6.6|
|Engine oil (with Z51) (qt / L):||9.75 / 9.2|
|Engine cooling system (qt / L):||11.3 / 10.7|