2020 Buick Encore
We expect the Buick Encore to receive a complete overhaul, consisting of a redesign and re-engineering, for the 2020 model year, representing the second generation of the Encore nameplate.
Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the 2020 Buick Encore. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from General Motors and Buick.
If you notice any inaccuracies about the information provided, or have edits to suggest, please let us know here.
Following are our expectations for the 2020 Buick Encore:
- Exterior: complete styling redesign, consisting of the new Buick design language introduced by the 2017 Buick LaCrosse, 2018 Buick Regal and 2018 Buick Enclave
- Interior: complete interior redesign, consisting of a new center stack, gauge cluster/instrument panel, and more
- Powertrain: powered by the 1.4L I-4 LE2 engine mated to the GM 9-speed automatic transmission
- Platform: based on the new GM vehicle set, either VSS-F or VSS-S
The 2020 Buick Encore will continue being offered as a subcompact, five-door crossover utility vehicle (CUV). It will remain the brand’s smallest CUV, slotting below the Buick Envision.
The 2020 Buick Encore will ride on a new GM vehicle set that will be either VSS-F or VSS-S:
- VSS-F is a new GM vehicle set intended for front-drive-based cars
- VSS-C is a new GM vehicle set intended for crossover utility vehicles (CUVs, otherwise known as crossover SUVs)
The vehicle set strategy (VSS) represents a new approach to automotive platformization that broadens the concept of platform sharing.
As such, the Encore will be one of the first (if not the first) GM vehicle to adopt the vehicle set strategy.
The 2020 Buick Encore will be assembled at one of the following factories for global markets:
- GM Bupyeong factory operated by GM Korea
- GM San Luis Potosi factory operated by GM Mexico
- GM Lordstown factory operated by GM USA
We expect the 2020 Encore to launch in the second half of the 2019 calendar year, likely in the fourth quarter.
We expect that the 2020 model year will be the first year of production for the second-gen Buick Encore, and that the model will remain in production at least through the 2025 model year.
Discuss the 2020 Buick Encore in our Buick forum.
Follow our coverage of Buick Encore news.