Chevrolet China sales decreased 19 percent to 107,447 units during the second quarter of 2019.
General Motors does not provide individual sales performance of sales in China, but we do have the following information:
- The sales results included initial sales of the new Chevrolet Tracker, “the first SUV from GM’s all-new global family of vehicles” known as the GEM platform, which launched in June
- Chevrolet will introduce the Trailblazer crossover in the second half of 2019
- The brand will also launch an unspecified “large SUV” – which we believe to be the upcoming three-row Chevrolet Blazer called the Blazer XL – will follow to help strengthen the brand’s SUV offerings.
During the first six months of the 2019 calendar year, Chevrolet China sales decreased 16 percent to 219,829 units.
Sales Results - Q2 2019 - China - Chevrolet
|MODEL||Q2 2019 / Q2 2018||Q2 2019||Q2 2018||YTD 2019 / YTD 2018||YTD 2019||YTD 2018|
The GM Authority Take
Chevrolet China sales continued on a negative trend during the second quarter of the year, experiencing a steeper decline than the one recorded during the first quarter of 2019. Chevrolet sales have registered a steady decline in recent months in the largest automotive market of the world, because the general demand for vehicles in China remains weak. In fact, auto sales were down 16 percent in China during the second quarter of 2019.
What’s more, China’s “primary” cities adopted more stringent emission standards as of July 1st. For this reason, SAIC-GM dealers – the joint venture that builds and markets Chevrolet vehicles in China – offered huge discounts in June to reduce inventories of vehicles that did not meet the new standards. However, the measure failed to prevent overall second quarter sales volume from dropping.
To battle the sales stagnation in the Chinese market, Chevrolet launched the all-new 2020 Chevrolet Onix sedan and 2020 Tracker – the first two members of the new family of vehicles based on the GEM platform developed specifically for emerging markets. These models are powered by small engines that meet the new China 6 standards. In addition, Chevrolet is preparing to launch the all-new Trailblazer and Blazer XL during the second half of the year to capitalize on the boom in utility vehicles in the country.
About The Numbers
- All percent change figures compared to Chevrolet China sales for Q2 2018, except when noted
- Chevrolet China sales figures represent retail sales
Further Reading & Sales Reporting
- GM news
- Running GM sales results
- Running Chevrolet sales results
- Second quarter 2019 Cadillac sales results:
- Cadillac USA Q2 2019 sales results
- Cadillac Canada Q2 2019 sales results
- Cadillac China Q2 2019 sales results
- Cadillac South Korea Q2 2019 sales results:
- Cadillac Mexico Q2 2019 sales results: